Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This winter the battery kept going dead. So we put it on charge, fully charged it. It ran fine for a few days and then I noticed the lights would flicker between dim and normal. Then it started draining the battery while it was running and when shut off overnight would drain the battery. We looked for a parasitic draw and couldnt find one. So we replaced the voltage regulator 8 months ago. It ran better but still would not charge while it was idling, only when the engine was revved. Then 2 weeks ago it started the same crap again with draining the battery while running. Could the voltage regulator have gone bad so quickly or does someone have any advise. Thank a bunch.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
8,484 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
8,484 Posts
You need to test your battery, a shorted battery will destroy a new voltage regulator in no time. I see no mention of you testing the battery or replacing the battery.

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
BTW - the system does not charge at idle - engine speed has to be around 2400 RPM just to begin to charge - below 2400 RPM it's running almost 100% off the battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need to test your battery, a shorted battery will destroy a new voltage regulator in no time. I see no mention of you testing the battery or replacing the battery.
I put a brand new battery in it when we changed the regulator. And it ran well for several months.

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
I can personally vouch for the RicksMotorSportElectrics, been using 2 of them for over 2 years no issues. Did you verify what issue was?

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
I have used Rick's, Electrosport, Arrowhead, BikeMaster, Caltric and OEM - least trouble with Rick's and Arrowhead and Rick's has a 1 year warranty - most companies (OEM's) will not warrant electronic devices and the aftermarket (if offered - only for 90 days).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doesnt Cycleworx have a lifetime warranty? Thats really what IM looking for with the issues IM having with this 4 wheeler.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Agreed with latebird, taking advantage of a lifetime warranty may get you 2-3 replacements but it doesnt solve the issue.

You actually said it would charge when revved in the first post, then said its not. I would consult a professional.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Agreed with latebird, taking advantage of a lifetime warranty may get you 2-3 replacements but it doesnt solve the issue.

You actually said it would charge when revved in the first post, then said its not. I would consult a professional.
Yep, thats correct, when we first replaced the regulator, it would charge when revved. Then it stopped charging all together.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts