Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new to these forums and relatively new to atving. I bought a Polaris Sportman 550 Touring model in 2012 and love it. Had to buy the touring model so that I could carry one of my teens with me when we hit the trails. We are planning a trip on the Paiute Trails this summer and I would like to take my small dog along too as he loves to atv, kayak and just do about anything we do. I have discovered that since the touring model has a front box rather than a rack, this is posing a problem to creating an inexpensive way to bring my little buddy along. I would love to have a DustyDawgs back dog crate created but with the other expenses for this trip that is not in the budget right now. Does anyone have any creative, inexpensive, but safe way to bring a smaller (15 lbs) dog on a Polaris Sportsman 550 Touring atv? Hubby can weld together an open top crate for my dog to ride in but securing it safely to the front box of the atv is the dilemma. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board. My Whippet just layed across my lap.

·
Registered
255 Posts
on my wife's nontouring 2012 550, it came standard with a lock & ride front rack and the front box was extra cost. Is yours not the same way and did the dealer switch out the box for the rack and keep the rack? If so, seems like they owe you a rack.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not real familiar with the box on the Touring but if has a place to hook into on the sides, couldn't you just ratchet down the dog crate from there?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Here's a follow up to my post above of a box I built for our Lab. I don't know if you can use any of the ideas here or not. I extended the original rack on our '08 Model T with 3/4" plywood so I could carry a Tamarack bag. Maybe something like this would work for you since your dog probably wouldn't require as large a box as Presley (65# now). You may not have to remove the rear seat which you probably can't if you have kids riding with you. As you can see, after Jena got her machine and we got Presley, I had to devise a way to take him with us. I posted some pics of what I did on Picasa.

https://picasaweb.google.com/117312...ySSeatAndRiding?authkey=Gv1sRgCIbsyLrK1Y-n4AE

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here's a follow up to my post above of a box I built for our Lab. I don't know if you can use any of the ideas here or not. I extended the original rack on our '08 Model T with 3/4" plywood so I could carry a Tamarack bag. Maybe something like this would work for you since your dog probably wouldn't require as large a box as Presley (65# now). You may not have to remove the rear seat which you probably can't if you have kids riding with you. As you can see, after Jena got her machine and we got Presley, I had to devise a way to take him with us. I posted some pics of what I did on Picasa.

https://picasaweb.google.com/117312...ySSeatAndRiding?authkey=Gv1sRgCIbsyLrK1Y-n4AE
That's a nice set up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought the Dustydawgs rack for my 2013 Polaris 850 Touring. Just installed it this weekend and am impressed. I have a 75 pound black lab and it looks fine for him (haven't taken him out yet, need to put something down on floor of rack). Bonus is that it looks like it will handle my ice fishing gear and the passenger for next season. Will post pictures in a week or so as I am away from the ATV right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts