Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put a hot seat pipe on my 850 xp and took it out and ran it hard shut it down and pulled the plugs. Now people have told me I don't need a programmer with a slip on but my plugs seem kinda white. Here's a few pics.

The weather here is cold, 5 above zero. Not sure if that would matter. I did the same plug check to my 660 grizzly and the plug is nice and tan. Do the plugs look to white to anyone. My buddy says it's fine but they look pretty white to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,349 Posts
they look fine to me.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Those look fine to me. Clean em up check the gap put em back in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks. They just looked pretty white to me and I wanted to make sure my xp would be alright. In the past with carbed bikes i always jetted for a more tan/light brown colored plug.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've been running the Hot Seat for some time now and I've had no problems.
Need to repack it. It's getting kind of loud!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You're plugs look good, but they only tell you the last 30 seconds or so of rpm. The 850 ids very rich from idle to about half throttle. But they are about spot on over that. It's the full throttle that you need to worry about on them with changing exhaust.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're plugs look good, but they only tell you the last 30 seconds or so of rpm. The 850 ids very rich from idle to about half throttle. But they are about spot on over that. It's the full throttle that you need to worry about on them with changing exhaust.
So do you think i should worry about a programmer for the full throttle part of it? How would I check that?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You need to do a full throttle run for about 1000' or more of you can safely. Cut the ignition immediately add you stop it quickly. If they are any lighter than your picture I would put a programmer on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shut it off while moving are you saying? Is it ok to do that while the belt is still engaged?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Bring it to a stop as quick as you can.. then turn it off. The goal is to keep our from idling for any amount of time so you don't get a false reading. You can shut it down at full throttle if you like, won't hurt anything, but not necessary.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok that's how I did it. I also put my stock pipe back on the other day and did it again and the plugs looked basically the same. I'll do it again with the hotseat again just to make sure. But I think it's fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts