Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a set of the new Polaris handguards on my 2012 Sportsman 500HO. I really like them but it seems like they do not sit up high enough to protect the top of the hands as much as I expected. Especially the left side. I have the guard itself rotated as far up as possible. I could twist the bracket up some more but it will twist my AWD switch on the right and my winch switch on the left down towards the seat. Anyone else with these have the same issue?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I noticed the same thing. I rotated everything down just a tad but the guards still aren't as high as I'd like them to be. If its a real bother you could put the bracket in a vice and try to bend it but that's up to you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah.... I thought of that but I'm kinda leary of breaking the mount. It's nothing I can't live with. Just making sure I didn't miss something or there was a trick. Seems like more often than not someone has a trick to a problem on this forum. Ton of knowledge on here.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
772 Posts
they dont fit very good. They need to go up about 1" or so. I'm afraid to try and bend the mount. Ive tried everything. I'll figure something out when it gets warmer.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I don't recall mine fitting like that, had them on two different machines.........hhhhmmmmm.........

·
Registered
74 Posts
Glad I found this post. I just installed the same guards on my 570 about five minutes ago, and your right, something just isn't right. The right side is higher and farther out than the left. I noticed that the mounts do not look right. I either received two left sides or two right sides in my kit.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Tried to bend mine today. I'm gunna have to heat them up. Really bothers me they don't fit right.

·
Registered
74 Posts
FREDBEAR- I noticed in the kit i have for the mounts that the left and right mounts are identical. Are yours the same?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wonder if they are positioned different lengths from the bar because of left hand brake control. Any type of lever on the right handlebar on those 570s?

·
Registered
74 Posts
No, just the thumb throttle. Also, I noticed the left side guard sits in farther towards the middle of the ATV. When you grip the handle, your hand actually sticks out a little beyond the guard. Something just isn't right with this design. If this is the way Polaris actually designed this, and it's not a mistake in packaging, I'm getting a different brand.

·
Registered
772 Posts
FREDBEAR- I noticed in the kit i have for the mounts that the left and right mounts are identical. Are yours the same?
no! definitely 2 different mounts. The left one has an "S" curve in it to go around the brake master cylinder. Mine are the same distance from the bars but the right one hangs low exposing the top half of your hand. Looks weird. The only way to get it to go up is to twist the throttle assy around the bar. Then the thumb throttle would be in a very awkward position.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Are your mounts metal of plastic? I ask as the mounts I have on the 2005 are plastic/composite and the 2012's are metal (but they are off of a 2014 850).

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Are you able to pull them off the machine and tweak them with a vise and rubber mallet to align the guards to your liking? I'd put tape on the jaws and a clean rag around the mount to avoid scuffing the paint.... and if you do a shot of flat black should solve that!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Are you able to pull them off the machine and tweak them with a vise and rubber mallet to align the guards to your liking? I'd put tape on the jaws and a clean rag around the mount to avoid scuffing the paint.... and if you do a shot of flat black should solve that!
I think part of the problem is that the steel "tabs" that you attach the actual hand guard to were welded wrong. When the mounts are on, one tab is up, and one is down.

·
Registered
74 Posts
FREDBEAR- Check your PM

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same here, installed a set this weekend and right side is too low.Moved throttle assembly back but think it will be uncomfortable on longer rides.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Yes on my 1000 they are different from side to side and cannot place them where you want, I was also disappointed with the Polaris ones

1 - 20 of 23 Posts