Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
Today I purchased my first Polaris atv a sportsman 500 and would like any advice anyone has on maintenance and upkeep to make my new toy last as long as possible.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site
if it where me and I do wrench on my own stuff
I assume by the 500 sportsman it is used
My opinion only
I would take it to a Polaris dealer and have them give it a once over
you will be money ahead in the long run
good luck with your new wheeler
I have a 2005 sportsman 500 with 6000 miles, tune ups and front tires and 1 new boot that is it

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Grease all the zerks every ride. I drilled a hole in the footwell to access the driveshaft zerk. Hose down and check axle boots every ride as well.
Back rinse radiator fins every couple rides.

Engine and other oils... (hub, diff, trans, etc) right now... then on standard hours/miles schedule. Yearly oils change if the hours/miles aren't met.

Brake fluid replace every 2 years. Chase old out with new.

New thermostat, gasket, and cooling system flush every five years.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I agree with all your maintenance intervals mentioned yet am wondering why lube the zerks after every ride? What if they are just 1 hour ez rides? I mean a little more often than the polaris official 50 hours is good but wondering why this part of your maintenance is much more frequent than the rest which mostly is per the manual. Just wondering man!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Welcome aboard.....Yes to what the others are saying, To prevent rear axle boot damage ,Get a set of rear A-Arm Guards. Trust me on this .I found out just how easy it is to fk up the boots . I put a set on the rear and have not had a problem since.I did this the second week I had the machine. 2900klm later all good.:veryhappy:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I agree with all your maintenance intervals mentioned yet am wondering why lube the zerks after every ride? What if they are just 1 hour ez rides? I mean a little more often than the polaris official 50 hours is good but wondering why this part of your maintenance is much more frequent than the rest which mostly is per the manual. Just wondering man!
No seals on the A arm bushings. I ford two small creeks on my property.
I push water out every time I grease them.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
a-arms = no water sealing? what types of grease to use?

Got it, I have a'98 & '10 sportsman 500s, so neither has seals on front/rear a-arms & therefore requires frequent greasing? Speaking of grease,I believe I need two styles, general & for shaft drive? Polaris or any name brand? Thanks to all the helpful people on this forum!! :hmmm:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Got it, I have a'98 & '10 sportsman 500s, so neither has seals on front/rear a-arms & therefore requires frequent greasing? Speaking of grease,I believe I need two styles, general & for shaft drive? Polaris or any name brand? Thanks to all the helpful people on this forum!! :hmmm:
I use one grease for everything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts