Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 polaris ranger crew. 16 hours.

i worry about the little things or possibilities to much im sure, anyone have suggestions or no of issues.

always runs fine, no issues until today, while ridding in average trails, no step mountains, about an hour into ride, with clean new fuel. i stopped to rest. when i restarted it sounded and acted like it was just barely going to stay running.. give it gas and went on, ros have always been 1200.1250 rpm. this sounded like it was so close to dying that i thought it was going to.

move forward another hour after i returned to truck. shut it off and got trailer and thinsg ready.

now restarted polaris, it did die fully in about 2 seconds after starting it. gas is 3/4 fuel. i restarted again 2 more times and all sounded normal and correct. when i got home, restared 2 more times, no issues. it alweays ran fine, sounded fine while driving today.

just those 2 issues, but they could be a real issue. anyone know what coukd be wrong, if anything, is this normal????

i dont wantto go to a dealer, if you cant reproduce it they could not fix it anyways. anyone have this happen or know what to look for.

cant be plugs, fuel filter, bad gas, low battery, blocked air filter, because it run fine all other times, just the 2 starting issues, it did kick right over. just the almost dying issue, then dying the 2 nd time..

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'm assuming that your ranger is EFI. Take it to the dealer. Even if it won't reproduce the issue, they can hook it up to the diagnostic computer and see if there's a problem. This is also with me assuming that it is a problem with the EFI(since it seems to possibly be a fuel problem). Course, it could also be either a fuel pump problem or maybe there was some trash clogging an injector that cleared itself out.

Or maybe there was just some water in the fuel.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I am thinking a fuel problem such as water in fuel or small piece of trash. I would take the fuel filter hose off and have a clean plastic container to catch some fuel and see if the fuel is discolored or water in the bottom. Or just try some SEAFOAM fuel additive in it. Read and follow instructions on the can. I think it only takes 1 or 2 ounces per gallon of fuel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't feel like the lone ranger on this. I have a 2011 ranger 800xp. It has been to the shop three times. over heating first time they said nothing was wrong. I got it out of the shop and low and behold it started acting up. I ran it till it died. they fixed that problem. then it started to do the same as yours. And also while running down the road about 30 to 40 mph it would die. So back to shop the said it was a wiring recall so they said it was fixed. My son went get the ranger out the shop went to lease and low and behold it is still doing the same thing. Could someone shed some light on this. I will be bring it to another shop.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i would bring it to a different polaris dealership because all polaris dealerships have to honor all new machine warranty claims.if your machine is an efi or even if its not efi,any electrical work or existing trouble codes have to be cleared.than i bring the machine up to operating temp,wait for the cooling fan clicks on and goes threw its cooling cycle,than hook up the computer with polaris digital wrench software and make sure the codes are still clear,before the machine leaves the shop.im a ex polaris certified mechanic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2011 polaris ranger crew. 16 hours.

i worry about the little things or possibilities to much im sure, anyone have suggestions or no of issues.

always runs fine, no issues until today, while ridding in average trails, no step mountains, about an hour into ride, with clean new fuel. i stopped to rest. when i restarted it sounded and acted like it was just barely going to stay running.. give it gas and went on, ros have always been 1200.1250 rpm. this sounded like it was so close to dying that i thought it was going to.

move forward another hour after i returned to truck. shut it off and got trailer and thinsg ready.

now restarted polaris, it did die fully in about 2 seconds after starting it. gas is 3/4 fuel. i restarted again 2 more times and all sounded normal and correct. when i got home, restared 2 more times, no issues. it alweays ran fine, sounded fine while driving today.

just those 2 issues, but they could be a real issue. anyone know what coukd be wrong, if anything, is this normal????

i dont wantto go to a dealer, if you cant reproduce it they could not fix it anyways. anyone have this happen or know what to look for.

cant be plugs, fuel filter, bad gas, low battery, blocked air filter, because it run fine all other times, just the 2 starting issues, it did kick right over. just the almost dying issue, then dying the 2 nd time..
Did you resolve this issue mine is doing the same exact thing ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why revive an old thread - just start a new one
Since i can't revive the old thread guess i will start a new one. 2012 Polaris XP 90% of the time it cranks and runs as expected. Some times after you run it, stop and try to restart it will run for a second and die. You can hear the fuel pump when you turn the key. If you keep this up for a few times it will again start then die after a second. I have tried turn the key on and back off to insure good fuel pressure and it will again start then die after a second or 2. Key this up and it will start. So far it hasn't left me in the woods but i know its coming. I seen on other treads this problem could someone tell me there resolution. I also pull fuel pump and made sure the filter was clean.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Check the fuel pressure - a pump will fail in many ways and pumps are problematic due to their exposure to alcohol ahead of other components. Some pumps just quit - those are easy to diagnose - others pump their freaking heart out and never build sufficient pressure. Cycling on and off may 'surge' sufficient pressure to start and once started may produce marginally sufficient pressure to run moderately normal. Of course it could be another component. Get it to a dealer, have them run the diagnostics and then you will know the source of the problem. It might be as simple as a weak battery or loose connection, but when it comes to EFI, it takes ELECTRONICS to trouble shoot otherwise you guess and throw parts at it until something sticks. May be a coil, crank position sensor, idle air control motor, could be fuel related or ignition related and just because one unit has a problem that sounds the same as yours, it may not be the same cause or the fix may be completely different. I would love to have access to DIGITAL WRENCH and the training to use it efficiently, but I'm not spending $5000 for something that is unique to a single brand - I need diagnostics for all makes and models

1 - 12 of 12 Posts