Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Great looking fabrication job...... and take my following advice for what it's worth.... possibly nothing! :D As I don't play that game and use my land machine as a submarine. But maybe my thoughts will help aid your thoughts. No harm intended, just throwing out idea's here.....

To me it looks like it would be in the way of bars and your arms when turning (stuck, wiggling/rocking machine, ect.) and maybe a crotch banger?

Is part of the problem with snorkels the fact they are always rear facing? :dunno: I understand this is to aid with water intrussion..... but, when rear facing they won't "scoop" the air like the stock designed does (forward facing), but rather create a vacume on the air box chamber, causing rich conditions as your experiancing (as when air moves past a rear facing opening it will pull air from that opening, not allow air in as desired!!). Forward facing would allow the air to be forced in and function as designed. Correct? Is there a way to make this forward facing, but create ducting (flow path) to keep water out? Possibly a forward facing opening that had to flow upward, before flowing downward. Like many of the PVC style setups seen installed, but NOT REAR FACING??

Again, just throwing out thoughts and obsevations of the "game".... :idea:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great looking fabrication job...... and take my following advice for what it's worth.... possibly nothing! :D As I don't play that game and use my land machine as a submarine. But maybe my thoughts will help aid your thoughts. No harm intended, just throwing out idea's here.....

To me it looks like it would be in the way of bars and your arms when turning (stuck, wiggling/rocking machine, ect.) and maybe a crotch banger?

Is part of the problem with snorkels the fact they are always rear facing? :dunno: I understand this is to aid with water intrussion..... but, when rear facing they won't "scoop" the air like the stock designed does (forward facing), but rather create a vacume on the air box chamber, causing rich conditions as your experiancing (as when air moves past a rear facing opening it will pull air from that opening, not allow air in as desired!!). Forward facing would allow the air to be forced in and function as designed. Correct? Is there a way to make this forward facing, but create ducting (flow path) to keep water out? Possibly a forward facing opening that had to flow upward, before flowing downward. Like many of the PVC style setups seen installed, but NOT REAR FACING??

Actually that is incorrect information. The stock snorkel faces backwards. This adapter does NOT impede on the steering in any way and doesn't come close to me in the rider position.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

Actually that is incorrect information. The stock snorkel faces backwards. This adapter does NOT impede on the steering in any way and doesn't come close to me in the rider position.
Okay, just basing my thoughts off my Value line design, not familiar with the XP direction of air intake. But the principle still stands true of rear facing, possibly creating a vacume effect. Did you test the std air box on the dyno? Be interesting to see if it too was lean! :dunno: Still think forward facing would yeild better results.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Not a bad looking design, and I would agree with the rear facing issue if it was strictly a force fed system. But with the motor actually pulling air in and being were not running around at 100 mph, I would say it will work fine. The only thing I see that would be a problem "for me" is the location. Riding in mud, especially when the front comes up, you tend to lean forward on the bike and I could see this getting in the way a little. I could also see this becoming painful if you come to an unexpected stop at a decent speed. Awesome fab skills though and I'm sure it will work great for what you use your bike for.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Cool, I gave up on snorkeling the air box because of all the crap around it like the coil and ecu, and the 12+ have the new runners on the otherside, couldn't seem to make it fit with the plastics on.
I dont believe the rear facing inlet would have vacuum probs, unless road running at high speed, wich is null because we are talking about mudding here moving at low speed.
However the rear inlet CAN suck in your shirt/loose clothing and choke the engine at the worst probable time :)
What if instead of the snorkel, it was an adaptor to run larger hoses outside the body work up to the front, where your rad relocate is. Maybe like a T shape where 2x2in(or bigger) hose could run left and right around the pod?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Cowl induction hoods face backwards and they have worked for years nice craftsmanship btw I like it

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Cowl induction hoods face backwards and they have worked for years nice craftsmanship btw I like it
Thank you, the stock cowl faces backwards and is more restrictive. The photo shows that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The snorkel adapter is complete. I'm waiting on the silicone to dry and I'll install it on the machine tomorrow. I'm going to put it to work Saturday at the Badlands. :yikes:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
You thoughts or questions are welcome.
Looks good, nice fab job. Hope it improves your intake and lean condition.... do you plan to dyno this one soon?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She's up and running. I hid the belt drive snorkels in the light pod. No more snorkel towers up front. I like it this way! I took her for a rip down the street. She's running great! Fresh plugs in her and ready to go for Saturday's Badlands trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Is that some type of filter cloth zip tied over the clutch vent tube ends/openings?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is that some type of filter cloth zip tied over the clutch vent tube ends/openings?
Its outerwears. I need to figure out a way to put outerwear on my intake too. :cowboy:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Came out really nice man, and its actually tucked in there pretty good...Shouldn't get in the way at all.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Came out really nice man, and its actually tucked in there pretty good...Shouldn't get in the way at all.
Thank you, I rode it around the yard and down the street. We are good to go, no issues at all and the machine runs much better than with the old snorkel kit. I saw one guy on here said there wasn't much room for a snorkel kit on the XP 1000 Scrambler. Maybe my adapter is the key :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are some more photos from the test. Unfortunately my belt drive housing has a crack in it so I didn't get some good water wheely pics in. :(

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts