Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize for the newbie post, but this is my first ATV sportsman 570 base model 2015. I read the manual regarding break in and it stated that first 25 hours do not go too fast and squeeze on the throttle too hard and do not stay in the same rpm all the time. The thing is I bought this ATV mainly for plowing and light trailing in my backyard. I have 3 acres in my property with a trail and 10,000 acres after that of wild life reserve. I haven't ventured out of my property due to fear of trespassing so I'm limited in distance on how far I can really go with this ATV. Today is the first time I tried it and I was able to go only 10-15 mph varrying the speed for a total of 5 miles today. I can't go really fast cause it is a gradual incline to go up through the trail. Will my conditions affect the break in or should I take it somewhere so I could break it in more effectively before I use it for snow plowing. It's October right now and here in NJ we may get snow as early as first week of December. Any thoughts about this will be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
No, just continue doing what you are doing and you will be fine. Just no WOT or racing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Disagree with above posts.
I would take it somewhere where you can do bursts up to half throttle, and do more riding at speeds up to half throttle, varying speeds.
You want to break it in doing more than 10-15 mph speeds!
Also, I would suggest trying to do the initial oil change before using it to plow all winter. You don't have to get the whole 25 hrs/ 250 miles in for break in, but I'd say at least 15 hrs or 150 miles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Disagree with above posts.
I would take it somewhere where you can do bursts up to half throttle, and do more riding at speeds up to half throttle, varying speeds.
You want to break it in doing more than 10-15 mph speeds!
Also, I would suggest trying to do the initial oil change before using it to plow all winter. You don't have to get the whole 25 hrs/ 250 miles in for break in, but I'd say at least 15 hrs or 150 miles.
Thanks for the tips guys. So far I got out and am able to go 35 MPH tops varying my speed. Is there a maximum speed that I should avoid or a sweet spot that I have to reach. I'm limited here in NJ

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I break all my quads in by just driving them like I normally do. I have never babied my quad from the start. I pull what I need to pull from day one. I always change the oil at the first 10 hours on the machine then every 50 hours. Doing this has never let me down and my machines always run and pull like a horse.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I purchased my sportsman February 2015 and was plowing snow two weeks after I had it with just a few hours on it, first oil change was at 25hrs. I now have close to 50hrs on it and about 170 miles, absolutely no issues at all. Under normal use you should not have any problems.

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
No, just continue doing what you are doing and you will be fine. Just no WOT or racing.
Agree with above post

Ronnie
These guys are right on point. With the clutching on these machines, you can get all the RPM variance you need without going fast. It's about RPM's, not speed. Keep an eye on your tach.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts