Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be buying a new ATV in the next few months and have $8000 saved. Here in Canada the new sportsman 570 is $6699 or $8019.87 out the door and the 2014 400 is $5699 or $6889.87 out the door. So which one should I get? The 400 has a world renowned Fuji engine and gives me more room to buy accessories but the 570 is bigger and I can still get accessories but later on, I also hear it needs constant valve adjustments and has terrible battery placement. So is it worth taking a risk with my hard earned money for the 570?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have a 400 and love it. that being said, if I could spend a grand now to turn it into a 570, I would in a heartbeat. So I'd say if you can afford it, go with the 570. The 400 does everything I need it to do, and is not underpowered, BUT now that I've become a more confident rider, I do yearn for more power for a couple reasons: for more spirited riding, i.e. spinning tires, etc. Also, and more importantly, I'd really like to go up a tire size, but I don't feel like the 400 has enough power to spare, so I'm sticking with 25's. Also, the 570 is EFI, which is just plain better. Idk anything about frequent valve adjustments on the 570, but if you're worried about it, buy a warranty. The battery placement is kind of a non-issue. It does appear to be vulnerable, but its not the only model that is set up like that, and in reality, its rare that there's a problem.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
There are not frequent vlave adjustments. But I have seen alot about shitty cold starts with the 570. It is probably worth spending the extra cash and getting the 570.

Seems to me my 400 was cheaper than that otd tho. I think I payed 5499 and otd was around 6400.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could be wrong about the msrp for the 400, I thought a friend told me they were $5499 in Canada too but I couldn't remember so I figured that if the 570 was 200 more than the us msrp in Canada the 400 would be too.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
My vote would be for the 400. The Fuji engines are tough to beat. You will run out of traction long before you come up short on power. Keep in mind the 400 is actually a 455 and has less than 5hp fewer than the discontinued 500ho. I love my 500, plenty of power even when pushing 26"ers thru the thick stuff. If you feel you will need raw power for riding id skip the 570 and go with the 800, which is about the same amount of money and you still get a Fuji Engine. That 400 around here OTD is like $5200 bucks

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
My vote is sit on them to see which one fits you better. The Ergonomics are completely different between the two machines. Personally. I'd go 570. as the money is there and ready to go, and you really need to take some time to determine the right accessories for you anyway. No point in dropping the cash and bolting on a bunch of parts that you either don't use, or don't like having. But that's just me. I bought my quad and got a cheap fabric trunk and a winch and had it for 8 month's before I added anything else to it. started with Homemade skid plates because no one makes them for my model. Than tires, hand guards, bumper, lights, and a hard trunk. Next year I'll probably get grip/thumb warmers, and some PPE. Maybe a windshield, I'm undecided on that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
570 no question. Rode a 400 and left alot to be desired, plenty of power for creeping around esp in low, but every once in a while you want to squeeze the trigger and let it stretch its legs.. The 500 didn't seem much more powerful, from a quick test ride. The 570 has just enough to put a smile on my face and not feel under powered.

I had every intention of buying a left over 500, but after riding both the 500 bucks more for the 570 was a no brainer for me.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your probably right but since I currently own an old Sportsman 500 I know what accessories I like and have put some on my old quad and are getting sold with the old one so I would have liked to have new tires, a 3 way hitch and a winch off the lot. What do you think? I also heard the 570 doesn't like to start in the cold.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i dont put to much weight in the cold starting rumor. A couple that posted turned out to be a kill switch and i think the other was the battery.

Have to wonder how much is the machine and how much is it the buyers/owners.

I have a 570 and a friend has one. Both been out in below 0 degrees f and they run like its 70 out.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I'm not sure about the 570 starting issues (since I don't have one) , but my 400 started when it was -35C. The 400 is a great machine too, it all depends on what you want to use it for.

·
Premium Member
10,589 Posts
Decisions decisions. The 400 is a very capable machine, does everything the big bores do minus some wow factor. Polaris hit a homerun with the 570. If u go 570 it has to have eps. I say this because if it were me I would go 400 on the low end of the budget and 800 on the hi end of the budget instead of a non eps 570.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Low temp starts require some proper prep/maintenance on any machine. and the colder you get the more important it is to have a tender on the battery to keep the battery at its best.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^Especially on the EFI machines. They tend to be more touchy.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Your probably right but since I currently own an old Sportsman 500 I know what accessories I like and have put some on my old quad and are getting sold with the old one so I would have liked to have new tires, a 3 way hitch and a winch off the lot. What do you think? I also heard the 570 doesn't like to start in the cold.
I would think MOST stuff that fits a 400/500/800 would go right on the 570 as its on the same chassis basically.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't let the rumors scare you away from the 570. Like most owners, I've had no issues with mine. The battery placement is not an issue. As for cold starting issues, you do have to take your hand out of your pocket and hold the brake or it will not start, even in park or neutral. It's a solid bike; I'd buy again

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would think MOST stuff that fits a 400/500/800 would go right on the 570 as its on the same chassis basically.
My 500 is a 1999 and the 570 is a 2014

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't let the rumors scare you away from the 570. Like most owners, I've had no issues with mine. The battery placement is not an issue. As for cold starting issues, you do have to take your hand out of your pocket and hold the brake or it will not start, even in park or neutral. It's a solid bike; I'd buy again
Is that one of those safety switches? I'm very surprised Polaris did that since I don't know of any other ATV than the Chinese ones where you have to hold the brake.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Only have to hold the brake if its not in park on my 500 and 800. Same on XPs as far as I know

·
Registered
130 Posts
Is that one of those safety switches? I'm very surprised Polaris did that since I don't know of any other ATV than the Chinese ones where you have to hold the brake.
Yes, I believe so. One thing's for sure, it's not covered very well in the owners manual.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I bought two 2012 400's and they are a very good machine for what we do. We put 1800 miles on them and not one problem. We paid 6200 each but I had front and rear bumpers, rear storage box, front and rear racks and rear bags on the box all Polaris stuff. If I would do it today I would get the 550 with power steering but don't regret what we have now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 72 Posts