Polaris ATV Forum banner

Sportsman 850 or King Quad 750

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, I’m new to the forum. Looking for some advice from y’all on what to buy. I’m looking at either a new Sportsman 850 or King Quad 750. I’m in central TX and will use for working on my place, hunting and playing on the family ranch and the occasional trail ride at River run ATV park in Jacksonville. Not doing any mud hole riding but will be in some mud for sure. It’s almost unavoidable at that park. I’ve went and looked at both quads. Off the showroom floor I like the KQ, LOVE the Sportsman. Wanting a seat big enough for my wife to ride along occasionally so that’s why I’m thinking 850 vs a 570. 1000 just seems to be way overkill for my use. 850 is probably more power than I’ll use if I’m being honest. When new the Sportsman wins hands down for me for all the great features, power and ride quality you guys know they have. I recently went and sat on a 21 850 ultimate trail that was already spoken for and fell in love, minus the light duty hitch receiver. That thing looks weak. Other than that it felt and looked perfect. But…
I’ve done a lot of research and I don’t seem to get a great feeling about the durability of the Sportsman. I see they have updated and improved on some things over the years but I’m having a hard time deciding if people just like to bash Polaris, sometimes there’s a lemon and guys cry wolf when they do, or if they really do have cheap parts put into them to keep cost down. I see they have a HD parts lineup now which is cool but it makes me think the ones they come with stock are sub par. Whatever I buy will be maintained very well, stored very clean and garage kept. I’m by no means a mechanic but I do my own basic maintenance and sometimes a little more on my truck, dirt bike, zero turn, etc. Don’t mind doing a little more maintenance to get the 850 that I really want but I also don’t want to be nickeled and dime’d by parts that fail prematurely. My concern with the KQ is the lack of suspension and less desirable ergonomics. So I’d like to know what you guys, actual owners think about my two choices. Thanks in advance, Jason

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
9,322 Posts
Font Line Window Pattern Automotive exterior
to the forum
Ball Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Font Gas

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly. You will be given more advice than you could hope for.

The real shortage in this country is common sense.

Reactions: Snook

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
9,322 Posts
My buddy had a KingQuad, and the suspension was weak to say the least

·
Registered
791 Posts
If you don't mind maintaining your quad, Polris is fine. If you like to put your 4 wheeler away wet and dirty, the Suzuki is for you.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
2,152 Posts
Well you’re basically comparing a Toyota Corolla to a Cadillac. You can only compare a Polaris big bore to a Can-Am. The 850 is an incredible machine and a lot of fun definitely meant more for play though than work. This is Suzuki would serve you better for work in my opinion. But if it’s Primarily work and reliability you’re looking for I would lean towards Honda or Yamaha.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have a 850 trail and I love the machine.
I ride for fun. If work were my main focus, I'd give up some of the nice features and creature comforts that the polaris has and buy a Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki instead. (in that order)
I'm not bashing Polaris at all.
I've got a few in the garage.
I had a grizzly and recently sold it.
We have a big extended family and friends that we ride with and most all major manufacturers are represented in the group.
The polaris machines require bushing, bearing, ball joint, replacement more often than others. Voltage regulator failures are common too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well you’re basically comparing a Toyota Corolla to a Cadillac. You can only compare a Polaris big bore to a Can-Am. The 850 is an incredible machine and a lot of fun definitely meant more for play though than work. This is Suzuki would serve you better for work in my opinion. But if it’s Primarily work and reliability you’re looking for I would lean towards Honda or Yamaha.
I definitely want to use it for play as well. Even after using it for work the ranch is 420 acres so plenty of room to play and scout for hogs. Definitely not a Honda. I want something a little more fun than that. But I know they are rock solid. Had one when I was a kid.

·
Registered
791 Posts
420 acres!!! Any mud holes??

You're going to want something with some legs, fun after work, hunting on the property, nice 850 Trail, perfect.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 850 trail and I love the machine.
I ride for fun. If work were my main focus, I'd give up some of the nice features and creature comforts that the polaris has and buy a Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki instead. (in that order)
I'm not bashing Polaris at all.
I've got a few in the garage.
I had a grizzly and recently sold it.
We have a big extended family and friends that we ride with and most all major manufacturers are represented in the group.
The polaris machines require bushing, bearing, ball joint, replacement more often than others. Voltage regulator failures are common too.
I’m a Yamaha guy for sure. I’ve had 3 dirt bikes over the years and they were all Yamaha’s. Absolutely great bikes. The Grizzly seat and foot wells are just too small for my wife to ride with me and the new ones run lean and backfire stock.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Ahhh, two up is a different story, 2 up quads are so very well set up to ride 2 up. Look into that if it's a common thing to ride 2 up, I really like the X2, 2 up, or dump bed, way versatile.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
420 acres!!! Any mud holes??

You're going to want something with some legs, fun after work, hunting on the property, nice 850 Trail, perfect.
I mean you can definitely find mud holes and 10 years ago I would have gone from one to the next for sure! My background is dirt bikes so I like speed more so than mudding. I have no intentions on doing snorkels or turning into a mud machine. The 850 ultimate trail has 27” bighorn style tires which would be perfect for me for overall use. If I get a Suzuki that’ll be a must have upgrade(26-27”)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahhh, two up is a different story, 2 up quads are so very well set up to ride 2 up. Look into that if it's a common thing to ride 2 up, I really like the X2, 2 up, or dump bed, way versatile.
Nah, my wife won’t be on it that much to justify a true 2 up model. When she’s on it I’ll take it easy. One of the draws to the 850 is the ride quality for her with that awesome seat and suspension. The KQ has a large seat as well. Maybe just a little smaller. Yamaha seat is very small unfortunately.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'm sure mud riding isn't everyone's gig, but in Florida, that's all we've got, sand and mud.

But, but if you need someone to stir up your mud holes, have bike, will travel.....

But seriously, if you're going to be riding with the wife on the same quad, truly look into a 2 up machine, they're so much safer for 2 people, really. Precious cargo, right. Never mind, you answer my question.....

·
Premium Member
2021 Sportsman XP1000S
1,821 Posts
I’m close to river run atv park ( I’m in Allen ,Tx )

and I don’t go due to mud ... it’s deep there guys . Boat territory.

super fun for mud loving atv’s though ...
my 2 cents

if you are sometimes going to ride double on a single person machine don’t do the Suzuki . Clutch is very snappy . Those machines regularly hurt folks trying to ride double ...

I don’t recommend 2 on ANY short machine. Honestly a touring model will handle better with 2 .
But no disrespect meant .

Good luck on your choice and let’s go riding sometime!

Reactions: gearheadesw1

·
Premium Member
2021 Sportsman XP1000S
1,821 Posts
Nah, my wife won’t be on it that much to justify a true 2 up model. When she’s on it I’ll take it easy. One of the draws to the 850 is the ride quality for her with that awesome seat and suspension. The KQ has a large seat as well. Maybe just a little smaller. Yamaha seat is very small unfortunately.
Oh LOL just saw this reply after I posted

·
Registered
791 Posts
I’m close to river run atv park ( I’m in Allen ,Tx )

and I don’t go due to mud ... it’s deep there guys . Boat territory.

super fun for mud loving atv’s though ...
my 2 cents

if you are sometimes going to ride double on a single person machine don’t do the Suzuki . Clutch is very snappy . Those machines regularly hurt folks trying to ride double ...

I don’t recommend 2 on ANY short machine. Honestly a touring model will handle better with 2 .
But no disrespect meant .

Good luck on your choice and let’s go riding sometime!

Might have to go to Allen TX..... mine is made for mud.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm sure mud riding isn't everyone's gig, but in Florida, that's all we've got, sand and mud.

But, but if you need someone to stir up your mud holes, have bike, will travel.....

But seriously, if you're going to be riding with the wife on the same quad, truly look into a 2 up machine, they're so much safer for 2 people, really. Precious cargo, right. Never mind, you answer my question.....
Oh I’ll play in the mud for sure. River run is next to the look Neches river and it can get swampy. I’ll have fun n all but I don’t care to go deep like the real mudders do. I’ll watch other people swamp their machines while I enjoy a cold one! My buddy has a 2012 snorkled brute force with 30’s on it. He’s swamped it 10 times and it’s still going. But his also has some issues because of it. Last time we went out he hit a hole and water got in the belt box. We left early that day lol.

·
Premium Member
2021 Sportsman XP1000S
1,821 Posts
Oh I’ll play in the mud for sure. River run is next to the look Neches river and it can get swampy. I’ll have fun n all but I don’t care to go deep like the real mudders do. I’ll watch other people swamp their machines while I enjoy a cold one! My buddy has a 2012 snorkled brute force with 30’s on it. He’s swamped it 10 times and it’s still going. But his also has some issues because of it. Last time we went out he hit a hole and water got in the belt box. We left early that day lol.
Where are you buying an atv from ?

I strongly recommend Clint Basham at Jones Power Sports

You will literally save money off sticker price . Approximately 500 or more right now .

They can get and sell all brands of ATVs

1 - 20 of 102 Posts