Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poked a hole thru the sidewall of one of the OEM Carlisle rear tires on my 550XP EPS. It's not repairable. So now my dilemma is do I buy one Carlisle 489 rear tire (26x10-14) or a complete new set of some other brand/model?

I also have a Sportsman 400 with ITP Mudlite tires that I like real well but it doesn't appear that ITP makes the Mudlite in a 26x10-14.

So, I'm looking for suggestions - what brand/style of tire should I put on this machine. Most of my riding (1,000+ miles/year) is in Arizona where traction doesn't seem to be an issue. I also spend part of the year in Oregon where I ride 200 to 400 miles on mostly dry, rocky ground. I don't want a super aggressive tire as I just don't think I need it as I almost never see mud or deep sand.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sounds like a radial such as the bighorn will be perfect for you. Maybe the bighorn 2.0 because they are a little lighter. Wonderful and durable trail tire. If you don't do much mud, don't buy a mud tire.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Bighorns,.......the tire by which all are judged!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sizes

In looking around, I'm finding that not many companies make tires in either 26x10-14 (rear) or 26x8-14 (front) sizes which are the original size on a Polaris 550XP.

Would it work to go to 26x11-14 rear tires and 26x9-14 front tires? Would I have any problems with things rubbing with slightly wider tires front and rear? How about handling, and how would it affect the power steering?

·
Registered
993 Posts
For the riding your doing and still on factory tires and haven't upgraded yet has to say something. I mean if the factory tires have performed up till now, why waste your money and buy 4 new? Just buy one new one off of ebay and ware the rest of them out then buy all new. You did ask for opinions so that's my .02 hope I don't get told 10 times that factory tires suck. I don't like the factory tires either but to each their own.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Bear Claws !!!!

·
Registered
993 Posts
If it helps, I've ran Bighorns on my outlander 800 for 3500 miles and they ware great still lots of tread left. I now have 26/9/14 and 26/11/14 on my 13 850xp and they have 600 great miles on them. I now have a set of blackdiamond xtr in the garage waiting for my wifes 14 850xp to get here just because of the good reviews I've read on them I wanted to try something different, and compare them side by side on the same machines in the exact same places.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Bighorns 2.0

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Poked a hole thru the sidewall of one of the OEM Carlisle rear tires on my 550XP EPS. It's not repairable. So now my dilemma is do I buy one Carlisle 489 rear tire (26x10-14) or a complete new set of some other brand/model?

I also have a Sportsman 400 with ITP Mudlite tires that I like real well but it doesn't appear that ITP makes the Mudlite in a 26x10-14.

So, I'm looking for suggestions - what brand/style of tire should I put on this machine. Most of my riding (1,000+ miles/year) is in Arizona where traction doesn't seem to be an issue. I also spend part of the year in Oregon where I ride 200 to 400 miles on mostly dry, rocky ground. I don't want a super aggressive tire as I just don't think I need it as I almost never see mud or deep sand.

Any help would be appreciated.
I just got into this dilemma last weekend, punctured my left-rear tire right through the sidewall. My solution was to get Pitbull Growlers and they just arrived today...so no opinion yet, other then they look awesome - hope the riding is just as awesome!

One thing to remember is some of the 25s may run big...so may end up like 25.5s or something. My buddy has the Mudlite XL's on his Kawi and loves them, has about 1500 miles on them and rears have about 1/2-1/3 thread left in the center of the tire, more on the outside. Only 1 got a puncture and it looked like it was from a railroad spike. They clean pretty decently in the mud and great on hard pack. I went with the XTRs, pretty good on hard pack, awesome in the little mud that I find here and there, horrible on snow cause they just dig too aggressively and you sink. Also, they SUCK when it comes to rocks. I have seriously lost count on how many sidewall punctures I've gotten on them. None in the meat of the tire; always the sidewalls - this time it wasn't repairable. Instead of going with a new one that would just get destroyed again I decided to switch it up and try Pitbulls from Discount Tire (fella on here replied and hooked me up).

Heard Bighorns are great, have not personally used them though. Few RZRs running around with them here in town though and youtube vids show they hold their own very well in numerous types of terrain. :cowboy:

·
Premium Member
10,585 Posts
bighorn or the 2.0's are the tire u need. they r light handle the rocks, r good at speed, sand, snow, mud that isn't snorkel needing deep and they wear like iron. with the 550 I would lean toward the 2.0's for the simple fact they are lighter then the originals and they will help save some of those ponies.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Grim Reapers are my choice for my 850, very smooth riding radials and they seem to do well on all types of terrain. Just mounted my 2nd set and had no puntures on my 1st set.:veryhappy:
But as someone posted above, if you like the stockers, just replace the bad one. Save some bucks. lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
A couple weeks ago I watched the tech inspection for the Mint 400 here in Las Vegas and noticed most of the buggies and SxS were running Bighorns here in the Nevada desert. If they're good enough for these guys, they must be a pretty good tire.

·
Premium Member
10,585 Posts
A couple weeks ago I watched the tech inspection for the Mint 400 here in Las Vegas and noticed most of the buggies and SxS were running Bighorns here in the Nevada desert. If they're good enough for these guys, they must be a pretty good tire.
the best!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Grim Reapers! : ) 8-ply radial with bead saver. Excellent all-around tire.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think the original bearclaw tires are the best value. You can get them for half the price of the others. They aren't as bullet proof as the radials but I can get a set of 4 in my area for under 300 bucks. Your gonna pay for the radials no doubt. If you got the extra coin go with Bighorns for sure.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts