Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no lift but i am guessing i gained about 3 inchs or so ....went from 12 inch stock to 14 aftermarket rims and plus about an 1 inch or so in rubber!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^ That will only net you about 1/2" of ground clearance.

12" rim to 14" = no change since the sidewalls are just shorter

1" taller tires /2 = 1/2" total ground clearance.

Just clearing it up for you since alot of people get confused on this topic.
For whoever is wondering the stock carlistes only measure around 24"

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh ok! thanks guys! just feels tougher when i sit on it...lol

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Till you ride it and those 40lb mountains of rubber make your 500 feel like a 300. I have the ripsaws on my 850 and it killed it with stock clutching. If they are half as good as the ripsaws you will love how well they handle and the traction they have in any condition.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
This is true ^^. Proper clutching if worth every cent!

·
Registered
491 Posts
A friend runs the same tires on a 2012 500 without any problems. Looks great by the way!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I run the Ripsaws on the 500 with no problems. Sedonas are awesome tires.

·
Super Moderator
7,182 Posts
Looks good, but I would never switch to 14" wheels if 12's fit.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Looks good, but I would never switch to 14" wheels if 12's fit.
why not?
Less sidewall = rougher ride and there is a better chance of damaging rims. But I do notice less tire roll and better steering with 14 inch rims. And they look cool.

·
Super Moderator
7,182 Posts
Rim damage is not the issue for me. It's the tire damage from the tire getting pinched between the rim and a hard spot. Nicks and dings in rims happens, regardless of the rim size, not a big deal. Cut beads and sidewalls are a big deal, as well as expensive. The extra sidewall you get when running 12" wheels makes all the difference in the world. With 14's, keep your tire pressures several pounds higher than what you ran with 12's. This helps prevent the pinching issue, but it makes it ride like sh!t on rough trails.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^ This is true. Also there are alot more types of tires available for 12" rims.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Rim damage is not the issue for me. It's the tire damage from the tire getting pinched between the rim and a hard spot. Nicks and dings in rims happens, regardless of the rim size, not a big deal. Cut beads and sidewalls are a big deal, as well as expensive. The extra sidewall you get when running 12" wheels makes all the difference in the world. With 14's, keep your tire pressures several pounds higher than what you ran with 12's. This helps prevent the pinching issue, but it makes it ride like sh!t on rough trails.
I was wondering what psi you run in the Pit Bulls?

·
Super Moderator
7,182 Posts
I was wondering what psi you run in the Pit Bulls?
I keep the fronts at about 8 psi now, and the rears about 7. Riding the same trails with the wife's 12" wheels and Bighorns I run around 4-5 psi in them, and never a problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts