Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I'm new here and have been doing some looking but did not find exactly what I need to know. I have a 2011 Sportsman 850 and I plan on getting 28" Outlaw 2's, Highlifter springs, and a QSC clutch kit, my question is do I need to worry about the front axles with this aggressive of a tire. Also will the new springs actually lift it a little bit?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Get at least rhino axles for all 4 corners. Ol2s are heavy.

And the hl springs won't "lift" it per se, but it takes ALL the sag from the machines weight out. So walk up to your machine, lift it until the shock pulls tight, and thats roughly where it will sit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I'm gonna have to just buy new ones as they break. Possibly gonna get 1" spring spacers then..would I need new rims so these tires don't rub as well? I just have the stock steel ones now

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Like said, springs will only lift if there is spring sag from age/weight and since they are stiffer they will help prevent you from bottoming out.

If you are good with your thumb, many folks have gotten some long life out of stock axles. Hammer it in the mud hole and you'll be buying new ones after your first ride.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not gonna be going crazy in mud with them so Maybe they will last...another reason for the springs is the wife rides with me often

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
If you use outlaws the way they are intended, (for mud), then you will snap those axles pretty easy. I recommend selling the stock axles while they are good and use that money to offset the cost of some aftermarket. I might also suggest that you look at a different tire since you wont be going crazy in the mud.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I blew out both front stock axels and I have a 2011 polaris 550. I only have 27 inch zillas also. I replaced them with high lifter outlaw axels. I have been very pleased with them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My other choices for tires would be the Mega Mayhem or Swamp Lites...any input on these? My cousin has the Seamp Lites and likes them but I don't know anything about the Mayhems

·
Registered
45 Posts
mega mahems

On my 2011 850 I run 28-11-14 mega mayhems all around on stock axles and stock rims and do lots of mudding without any problems so far. Just be careful on the throttle. I never used spacers either but they are close, about an inch clearance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a buddy with a renegade 500 and he has mega mayhems, he loves them. I thought about getting them but decided on the zillas because of the wieght of the tire. These zillas pull me threw everything that renegade goes threw. I found with swamp lites that they tend to wear really fast when running pavement and hard gravel, and don't go through mud and snow nearly has good as the zilla, and mayhems

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would you recommend the mayhems? How well do thy hook up and do they well do they wear

·
Registered
45 Posts
mega mahems

I find that they hook up very well. As far as wearing I try to stay off all roads and if I travel anything it will be gravel which they can get a little squirrley. They are a heavier tire so I do notice a little.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I do not recommend the swamplites unless you ride in watery mud. They do not clean out well in thick mud, and will wear quickly on hard pack. Zillas are a better choice than the swamplites. I don't know about the mayhem's, but it seems they are similar in performance to the zillas. I think you would be happy with either of those.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Look at radial outlaws I have 30" on my 850 and it still has a very smooth trail ride.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought about the outlaw radials but they are kinda pricey

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I thought about the outlaw radials but they are kinda pricey
and heavy, but definately a good tire, and nothing proper clutching cant fix.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I blew out both front stock axels and I have a 2011 polaris 550. I only have 27 inch zillas also. I replaced them with high lifter outlaw axels. I have been very pleased with them.
I'm kind of curious. I understand putting larger tires and/or a lift kit on substantially increases the load on the axles and CV joints. When you said you "blew out both front axles", what exactly happens? Do the splines strip out where the axle shaft enters the knuckle on the CV joint? Seems to me that's the weakest point. Or does the entire knuckle with the ball bearings rip right out of the CV joint itself? I'd love to see a pic of the actual damage.

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
If you use outlaws the way they are intended, (for mud), then you will snap those axles pretty easy. I recommend selling the stock axles while they are good and use that money to offset the cost of some aftermarket. I might also suggest that you look at a different tire since you wont be going crazy in the mud.
this would be the best way to go about preemptively dealing with ur stock axels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I have been thinking about going with a different tire now and I've pretty much settled on the mayhems, not sure if I wanna go with the 28s or 30s since I've read that they run small

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Mine normally break at the CV joint. Inner or outer, doesn't matter. Here is what a front outer looks like.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts