Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all. Tom from Texas here. Just picked up a new to me 2009 850xp with Epson. Its got 22 hours on it and I'm wondering about the first scheduled maintenance. Its still got the break in oil in it. Should I go to a dealer or try it myself ? I'm new to atvs but been riding and racing offload for 40 year. I did look under the machine for the drain plug and oil filter and saw the filter but not plug. I also hear that there are 2 oil reservoirs. I need to pick up a manual. Any pdfs on here? Thanks, Tom

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Welcome to the board. Using the "search forum" feature, type in service manuals and you should be able to find what you need.

·
Super Moderator
7,092 Posts
You should just DIY and save yourself a handful of money. The drain plug is easy enough to find. It's pretty much right in line with the filter. If you get underneath and look up at the filter, you will find the drain plug about centered on the engine. There is only one drain as this is a wet sump system. It's definitely time to change it. If that is truly the original oil in it, it's 4 years old!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks y'all! It looks like there's skid plating under the quad that covers the drain plug. I have a motorcycle lift table but the quad won't fit. What's the best way to get it up the do the maint. On it? Front first then jack stands then rear? I do have a quad lift but won't be able to take off the skid plates with it in place. Thanks

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Welcome Tom!

You do not "need" a lift. The skids are welded to the frame. There are access holes for the engine, tranny and front and rear axles. To get the drain plugs out.

I agree change all fluids for a "known start" point. Best of Luck with the machine its a good one!

CW

·
Super Moderator
7,092 Posts
I just service mine sitting on the ground, I don't lift it. If it has aftermarket skid plates on it then you probably need to take them off to service it. If they are just the factory plastic, there is an access hole there already for oil changes.
Guess I kind of just repeated everything CW said. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Welcome Tom. You will love that machine. Good luck on the oil change.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Tom,

Don't forget the transmission, demand drive (front diff) and angle drive (rear diff) fluids.

Mark

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Yes it is an Allen head. Its more of a plug then a bolt. Same for front and rear fluids

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts