Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 sportsman 400 and i just sold my 15 camo 570 and feeling like i may have made a bad choice. Now im back in the hunt for another quad. Would like to upgrade to at least a power steering model or a big bore. Any advice what to stay away from would be appreciated. Im looking at 14 or newer 850 or 1000s. Thanks ahead of time!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I have the Touring model of the 850 and love it. My friend has a 2015 Sportsman 850 with Power Steering and loves his. The 1000 is cool but not sure it is necessary unless you want the special controls to change power modes. The HP is not that much more to justify the $ IMHO.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome, I'm new too!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the Forum. I have the Touring model of the 850 and love it. My friend has a 2015 Sportsman 850 with Power Steering and loves his. The 1000 is cool but not sure it is necessary unless you want the special controls to change power modes. The HP is not that much more to justify the $ IMHO.
Been shopping around new and used and will have to say to people out there buying used quads. Ive called many dealers. You can get 2018 570 for 5800 all taxes included out the door and one with power steering for 6600 otd. Can get an 850 for 8200 otd in the base model. So not sure why evey classified a look its hard to find a 2015 or newer for under 5000 and most are around 5800 asking price for a 2 or 3 year old machine. Anyways thought id share if someone else was in the hunt like me.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
All depends on what you’re using it for.
If you’re competitive by nature, go 1000. If you feel you won’t even use the power of an 850, go 850.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you’re competitive by nature, go 1000. If you feel you won’t even use the power of an 850, go 850.
Hunting, plowing and trail riding. Will always want the biggest and baddest. Very competitive but no one i know has quads. We ride sleds mainly. Was looking more for any problem years for an 850 or 1000. I know 09 was the non h.o. 850 curious on the power difference between h.o and non h.o. Just as i speek i see a 2016 850 sp on craigslist for 9800. Dealer quoted me 9600 otd for an sp 850 brand new. Is 17 and newer 850 or 1000s the same chasis with some plastic upgrades or is it completely new bike?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Hunting, plowing and trail riding. Will always want the biggest and baddest. Very competitive but no one i know has quads. We ride sleds mainly. Was looking more for any problem years for an 850 or 1000. I know 09 was the non h.o. 850 curious on the power difference between h.o and non h.o. Just as i speek i see a 2016 850 sp on craigslist for 9800. Dealer quoted me 9600 otd for an sp 850 brand new. Is 17 and newer 850 or 1000s the same chasis with some plastic upgrades or is it completely new bike?

‘18 is where the biggest upgrades were made. Front diff cover is new for ‘18. Prior years the diff cover would break and explode the front diff, unless of course you buy a diff cover upgrade such as the ones sold by Rick Cecco. Seems to have solved the problem as I haven’t seen one post of an upgraded cover where the diff exploded.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I ended up getting a 2007 sportsman 800 efi with very low miles. Came with winch and plow setup. Has a few issues but seem minor. Can anyone chime in on what seems to be the problem with the rear brakes on these machines? The foot pedal has nothing and its hard to get in gear i believe from this issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts