Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. New to forum and need a bit of help. Just got an 05 500 atp. Went to pick it up and fired it up to load on truck and the ecm went into meltdown. Burnt the ecm and connections to wiring harness. Had the purchase price set then this happened. The seller could not believe his bad luck. he discounted the machine a lot so I bought it anyway. It's in my shop and am just wanting to know has any one heard of this before and what can I do to get it fixed. I am a mechanic so willing to dig in. Any info to steer me in the right direction appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
Make sure you had updated ECM installed if not I would want some sort of compensation for repairs as this has been a known issue for many years

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spent a fair bit of time trying to locate an ecm with the numbers off the old one and no luck, It was made by sure power industries inc. the numbers on it are 11085atp500ecm. S/N co5005020. Couldn't match anything to them. VIN of machine is4XAJD50A052754095. Maybe someone has a link to the right place.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I believe what Rgilles meant was, that they had some defective ECM's back in '04 and '05. You may want to call a polaris dealer and give him those numbers and see if you have a bad one or if you have other issues.
I doubt they do anything about the wiring but you might get a new ECM out of the deal,free.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the comeback. with all time I've spent on the net I think the dealer option is the only way to go. As far as I can see there are no aftermarket parts for this problem. I was on ebay but the harness I saw somehow made me think it wasn't what I needed and it was $200. Better to be sure'

·
Registered
280 Posts
The old defective ECM s were black with small fins on them. The newer updated ones are larger and not painted . They had a jumper harness you had to use also I remember the kit had dielectric grease u packed into the connectors

Sent from my iPhone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts