Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given the 700 Sportsman Sunday, the owner had not started in a few years, I checked oil and water, put gas in it and a new battery, it fired right up. The problem is with the brake system, the top was left off the brake reservoir, and everything is rusted. I am hoping that there are parts available. I am 71 years old, and I have been riding, building and racing since I was 18 years old, until I was 65, so I don't have a problem working on motorcycles and I'm hoping the ATV want be much different. I do some deer hunting and a lot hog hunting, so this thing may come in handy. I will change all fluids before taking it out to ride

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
parts should be plentiful, check out sites like bikebandit.com and cyclepartswarehouse.com

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was given the 700 Sportsman Sunday, the owner had not started in a few years, I checked oil and water, put gas in it and a new battery, it fired right up. The problem is with the brake system, the top was left off the brake reservoir, and everything is rusted. I am hoping that there are parts available. I am 71 years old, and I have been riding, building and racing since I was 18 years old, until I was 65, so I don't have a problem working on motorcycles and I'm hoping the ATV want be much different. I do some deer hunting and a lot hog hunting, so this thing may come in handy. I will change all fluids before taking it out to ride
Congrats on the new machine. Great score. Thankfully parts are plentiful and most are relatively cheap. Hit up Amazon and you can get a cheap front brake handle/master cylinder. The first one I pulled up was $28. I'd replace that and flush out the brake line. Don't be surprised if you have to rebuild the rear caliper. It's an odd design, but very easy to rebuild. There are two bleeders. One for the front m/c and one for the foot m/c. If fluid is leaking between the two sections, the brakes will only work when you pull the front and step on the rear "auxiliary brake."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replays, I have pulled all the brake calipers and brake lines off, the lower bleeder valve was stripped out and the caliper had mud in it, I will have to replace it. Both rear wheels have a lot of play in them, will be checking the wheel bearings. The bright spot, is that it runs very good, I will just have to build from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts