Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Towards the end of may I should be getting a 2018 Sportsman 1000 XP Hunter Edition. I have a few questions.

1.) is there a box/extension of some sort for the front to have more storage like the previous gen?
2.) What problems if any do I need to be proactive about? I'm aware of the front diff, and I'll be getting the Cecco Racing cover.
3.) What changes have happened since 2018 and can/ should they be retrofitted to this model year?
4.) What are some must have mods/upgrades? I'll be primarily trail riding, not a mud seeker at all. Thinking I might eventually swap the stock tires for some Blackwater Evolutions.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
7,059 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its got the stock front and rear bumpers. I'll probably leave those till they get squished inevitably at some point

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
The guru bumpers don't bend.

IMG_20190510_135625.jpg

IMG_20190623_120412.jpg

IMG_20190510_121728.jpg

Reactions: Faitdushred

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,771 Posts
Towards the end of may I should be getting a 2018 Sportsman 1000 XP Hunter Edition. I have a few questions.

1.) is there a box/extension of some sort for the front to have more storage like the previous gen?
2.) What problems if any do I need to be proactive about? I'm aware of the front diff, and I'll be getting the Cecco Racing cover.
3.) What changes have happened since 2018 and can/ should they be retrofitted to this model year?
4.) What are some must have mods/upgrades? I'll be primarily trail riding, not a mud seeker at all. Thinking I might eventually swap the stock tires for some Blackwater Evolutions.
1. No extensions available. You can bet metal rack extenders, that’s about it or mount a front box.
2.The 2018’s have the metal pinion cover and do not need to be upgraded. Get a magnet and check. If yours is metal, you are good. Get a bearing greaser and grease your bearings and dielectric all connections. Buy a battery tender and use it when storing your machine.
3. Not many changes from 2017 to present. Greaseless bushings is about it. If you keep your bushings greased they will last a while. When it’s time to replace go with garage products.
4. Black waters are nice tires. Definitely a must have upgrade is tires. After that it’s really up to you. USB port is nice, so is a quick connect SAE plug for the battery tender.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats too bad about the front box. Would really like a slimline box or something to go on top of that front rack, or just a taller storage lid. Oh well I suppose.
I read that they did some CVT work in 2019, but it was kinda vague as to what. As well as a new transmission chain I believe? And thats good news about the pinion cover.
I think I'll put in the crud stoppers on all 4 wheels. and I already have the wheel bearing greasers.

·
Registered
2018 Polaris 850 SP Camo
296 Posts
You can use other bags like the Ogio's on the front. You can use the lock and ride lock downs. Just have to measure the holes and match them to the box or bag you use. Cut a hard plastic washer same diameter as hole for lock and ride lock down. Will hold it in place nicely

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found out they've also done sealed bushings. Is that something I can add to mine or is it a completely different setup with the a-arms and whatnot?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got my Sportsman 1000. And while its sorta fun, its also sorta disappointing. It feels like an 850 to me. But faster on the top end. I am pretty disappointed in the torque department. Does that sound normal?

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
Got my Sportsman 1000. And while its sorta fun, its also sorta disappointing. It feels like an 850 to me. But faster on the top end. I am pretty disappointed in the torque department. Does that sound normal?
Do tell more, is it new?

Reactions: RoyR80

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
Have the tires been changed from OEM size?

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
The 850 is powerfull also.

Reactions: Xpialidocious

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
its a used 2018 Sportsman 1000 XP Hunter Edition with a little bit over 900 miles. Original pxt or whatever tires. I imagine its still on the original belt (new one on the way)
Needs a rh tie rod and inner end. and a LH lower ball joint.
Done an oil change. Still waiting on a new air filter etc to get it all maintenanced up.

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
Service the clutches as long as you are in the belt box.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
By service do you mean blow em out, and clean the surface? Thats what I do with my sled. Never really messed with ATV clutches much.

·
Premium Member
7,059 Posts
At the minium. use green scratch pads to clean the sheves, from the center upwards not in a circular motion

Reactions: RoyR80

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh yeah very familiar with cleaning a clutch surface, just wasn't sure if there was more to it than that. So is this somewhat abnormal then? I think a good portion of my issue is, if I'm being honest with myself that I'm expecting the same shock and awe of my sled. My sled is tuned up quite a bit and putting out around 185HP. and is a wheelie monster. I know this Quad isn't that and weighs more than double. But I still think somewhere my mind I almost expect that same arm stretching snap when I hit the throttle.

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
No way , the 1000 IS fast

1 - 20 of 100 Posts