Polaris ATV Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts

There is another one of our members that is interested in how you like the 27 inch big horns and maybe what they actually measure versus what the maker states.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Got my Sportsman 1000. And while its sorta fun, its also sorta disappointing. It feels like an 850 to me. But faster on the top end. I am pretty disappointed in the torque department. Does that sound normal?
Mine didn't seem Insane to start when new but now at about 800 miles on it's Total Insane now . I even ride most of the time in Work Mode and have no problem keeping up with everyone, climbing anything and even going 53 mph on straight aways all in Work Mode. Give it some time.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Screenshot_20210607-183546_Chrome.jpg
I got the amazon specials. All 4 for $200
I'm sorry you got ripped off ,they are only $60 for the hole set form Parts Nation for the S models.
Screenshot_20210607-183546_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Got some more pics. Got my flares in. Easy peasy to install. Also got my rear box more secured with rubber straps. Didn't snap any pics of that tho.
The bottom pic is a comparison. The front fender wasnt attached fully yet so it sticks out a bit. You can see the gap.

194430673_501344581118706_2049807683721001429_n.jpg
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
OH and my 27" bighorns sit at 26.5" tall with 9psi.
OK great to know they run about a half inch small.

I bet you’re going to have a lot better coverage with those fenders were you getting pretty muddy before?

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
6,998 Posts
Thanks FPD218

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I am all about speed and performance. I run 26 inch Terracross tires . I have a speedo healer so that my bike shows GPS. And so the bike does not shut down by the speed limiter. I bought this before my tune . I have tried playing with springs on both clutches looking for a harder acceleration as I was disappointed with how I only beat my buddies 850 by a few lengths. And same with a canam max 850 running same tires as I am . And just the power delivery in general. But did not want to kill top speed either .

So the first thing I tried was a dynojet powervision. Did not notice a lot of difference but was able to dial in the throttle response I wanted through the drive by wire . So it felt more responsive to throttle input. But no upgrade in tire breaking loose power .

Next I loaded a tune from RVS performance. I noticed a difference over the stock powervision and gained some RPMs. Sometimes when the 850 Canam and my 1000 were hot from a ride they pulled dead even . Cool nights the Polaris won by a few . That was gone now and I always could pull him by a couple of lengths. But still wasn’t happy about that . I came off of an XTP 850 Canam that was more explosive .

So finally I installed the QSC from RVS Performance. I was sceptical because usually clutch kits only help if you have installed bigger tires. To my surprise this made my 1000 a total different bike . When my buddy with his 850 Canam lined up we couldn’t believe the results. When he hits his speed limiter at 78 mph I am ahead by six lengths and pulling away. The driveability is exactly the way I want it now and it will break loose on dry grass even when driving fast . Catwalks much easier and is a riot . That is how I expected it to work.
So I would do this if you want performance and in this order …

Good handling radial tire that is not too heavy or tall.
QSC clutch kit
Programmer from Ryan at RVS . For throttle response and a bump in rpms and power . Plus he is excellent to deal with .

just my experience and the way I want my bike to be . I am on the prowl for a 1000 Canam now . I had them and there is not much to gain with programmers or pipes. Polaris just left some on the table and I wanted it all . Lol .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Are you saying the qsc clutch KIT, or the QSC clutch? The clutch is like $1300. Is that what you're talking about?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Are you saying the qsc clutch KIT, or the QSC clutch? The clutch is like $1300. Is that what you're talking about?
The way I read it he said clutch kit and that's about $ 300.I to have been doing some clutch work and a $25 stronger spring in the secondary is all I needed to help with my bigger tires and the take off is harder I like it.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Give RVS a call . And ask

I don’t believe the previous poster is telling you to buy a 1300 clutch. Just put some parts in there if you want more performance.

Reactions: crazyflyboy30

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,755 Posts
Clutch kit is what the OP is talking about. For minor performance upgrades it’s all you need. If you want to go more extreme, then you can look at complete clutch replacements. Either way, Ryan at RVS Performance is the guy you want to talk to. He’ll steer you in the right direction.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts