Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just picked up my first four wheeler as a 50th birthday present to me.

2006 800EFI Sportsman
2" lift
29.5 Outlaws
Gorilla axles
3500lb winch
Possible clutch kit (Still trying to figure out what all has been done to it)

Concerns:

I bought some one else's headache!

Front lift was done by cutting upper spring mounts and re-welding in a lower position.
Front hub assemblies (?) have been "reinforced" by welding pieces of 3/8" round stock to them.

Fenders were apparently trimmed by an angry beaver, working on correcting that.

Paint job that would look good from 100 yards away on a dark, stormy night.

After crawling over/under/around the thing and limited use it appears to run/stop/function well.

Will post pictures after it is cleaned up to where it is not embarrassing.

Lots of room for improvement so I suppose I will be here alot!

:veryhappy:

·
Registered
286 Posts
You obviously didn't buy it for its looks, so if it runs and stops sounds like you are good to go. Hopefully you got it for a great price

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I paid a fair price. The tires and axles were going to happen anyway so that was a plus. Now I just need to get familiar with the thing and check everything that needs checking. Feel free to throw ideas at me! (Remember, I have never owned one of these)

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Good luck with it. Some projects turn out better than you thought they would at first glance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
polaris 800 (2).jpg

177.jpg

plaris 800.jpg

Finished straightening out the rear fenders. Home Depot vinyl base board and some stainless hardware. I cut away all the chewed up plastic about 1/8" below the break line hoping the bend will maintain some of the structural integrity and scre4wed it all together. We will see how it holds up to Louisiana summers!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Looks like a good fix! I'll have to remember about that vinyl base board.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've been looking for a rear rack extension and could not find anything under $100. With (2) 90* fittings, (4) T's and 6 feet of 1/2" black pipe I made one that is not pretty but works really well, for under $40. I used the cash saved for a set of Ricochet A arm guards.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
Looks like you've made a good start on it, Buddy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, plan B. Both hubs are frozen onto the bearing races and the bearings are sealed units. Go for a bearing replacement at a later date.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I've been looking for a rear rack extension and could not find anything under $100. With (2) 90* fittings, (4) T's and 6 feet of 1/2" black pipe I made one that is not pretty but works really well, for under $40. I used the cash saved for a set of Ricochet A arm guards.
Nice improv job on the rear rack extension.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts