Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas... name is Travis... I am picking up a new to me 2017 scrambler 850 this weekend. I am a legit gearhead with an addiction to modifying stuff. From cars/trucks/boats/atvs... I am incapable of leaving anything stock. I currently have a tricked out 400ex, an old yamaha big bear and an xplorer 400. I do a lot of trail riding with some sand and a little track fun here and there. My buddies have liter bikes and my poor little 400 just wasn't doing the job... so going to be doing a little horsetrading and moving up to a scrambler 850.

I had an old scrambler 400 a few years ago... that thing was awesome but it was like strapping a rocket to a stage coach... the suspension was total crap. But also why I love my xplorer too though ha.

This 850 I am getting has been well taken care of in regard to maintenance. Dudeman did say that he got a little froggy and cracked the hood on it (so if someone has a replacement hood for sale, let me know!)... but other than that it needs a seat cover.

Like I said, I am not a mudding kinda guy, I am more about performance and handling. So I am thinking about a wider stance, swapping out the shocks for something more adjustable, but other than that... seeing how it performs and going from there. I do like the looks of guys who moved their gauges to the tank... that doesn't seem like it's anything special. Should I worry about clutch upgrades? I want to keep this thing reliable (for the most part) as opposed to wasting most of my time fixing shit versus riding.

Anyways... enough keyboard ranting... if you made it this far in my post... good on ya! I owe you a beer...

馃嵒

Premium Member
Welcome bud 馃槑!! As for mods I would do Ceccos front and rear lower a-arm braces and the bullet diff cover. As for rims and tires don't go wider then 5+2 IMO 4+3 on the XPs just looks RIDICULOUS!!! Me personally would only put 6+1 offset rims on an XP. I'm a beadlock guy so I would suggest that route. Now for tires and there are a ton of opinions due to style, terrain, style, etc etc etc. But me I run Maxxis Bighorn 2.0s on all 3 of my machines. They are a light nimble tire that is very durable. I like them cause they don't eat up my 馃悗. So for performance mods the tune should from RVSPerformance. They also have stages and the intake filters and exhausts to go with the different times. Twin Air and Uni are good but K&N not so good for the off-road.

Reactions: VBTravisD

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Guess what followed me home today boys! I am officially part of the club. I will get some pictures posted up in the morning. She needs a few little things but that was also why I got her for such a good deal. Just loading this thing in my truck had me grinning ear to ear.

Premium Member
I saw you test driving it!
Dude on ATV.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Bp405, funny enough... it actually has a relatively new set of Maxxis BH2's on it! But those narrow stamped wheels with all that backspacing is killing me.

So it looks like this bike got intimate with a tree or something once upon a time. Combined with a previous owner with the mechanical ability of a toddler... It needs some lovin. It had led strips zip tied to the frame... but they used wire nuts to tie together the wiring for the lights. There were t taps used on power wires and not a single heat shrink connector on anything. I took some time yesterday and cut the mickey mouse level crap out.

The only "major" things I have seen... the muffler heat shield mount had cracked and became a hole. So I pulled the muffler, straightened out the heat shield, cleaned up the muffler and just welded everything back together. Reinstalled the muffler... good to go, no more exhaust leak.

The gauge cluster is F'd up and cut to hell. So honestly, I am thinking about relocating the gauge to the tank and changing out bars. The gauge works fine, so might not even messing with trying to get it back to stock.

Finally, and this is the biggest thing... I was standing behind the bike and noticed that the right rear was closer to the sway bar than the other side. It looks like the a arm mounts on that side might be bent. So I am thinking about buying some parts from Cecco... I am going to take a closer look and see if anything is broken yet... if not, I might just straighten everything out and buy all of the frame braces.

In case you haven't seen the trend... I tend to write long posts... sorry fellas...

and DILLY DILLY!

Registered
19鈥 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
Bp405, funny enough... it actually has a relatively new set of Maxxis BH2's on it! But those narrow stamped wheels with all that backspacing is killing me.

So it looks like this bike got intimate with a tree or something once upon a time. Combined with a previous owner with the mechanical ability of a toddler... It needs some lovin. It had led strips zip tied to the frame... but they used wire nuts to tie together the wiring for the lights. There were t taps used on power wires and not a single heat shrink connector on anything. I took some time yesterday and cut the mickey mouse level crap out.

The only "major" things I have seen... the muffler heat shield mount had cracked and became a hole. So I pulled the muffler, straightened out the heat shield, cleaned up the muffler and just welded everything back together. Reinstalled the muffler... good to go, no more exhaust leak.

The gauge cluster is F'd up and cut to hell. So honestly, I am thinking about relocating the gauge to the tank and changing out bars. The gauge works fine, so might not even messing with trying to get it back to stock.

Finally, and this is the biggest thing... I was standing behind the bike and noticed that the right rear was closer to the sway bar than the other side. It looks like the a arm mounts on that side might be bent. So I am thinking about buying some parts from Cecco... I am going to take a closer look and see if anything is broken yet... if not, I might just straighten everything out and buy all of the frame braces.

In case you haven't seen the trend... I tend to write long posts... sorry fellas...

and DILLY DILLY!
Dilly Dilly! And no shortage of Sarcasm here either!! Sounds like you鈥檙e very capable, I鈥檓 glad that machine found you. As far as the sway bar- most of them shift to the right causing the left side to get very close to spring. It鈥檚 normal, if it does contact, then the easiest fix is sway bar collars. Other options are longer links.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here are some pics.

Aside from the stuff listed above... I checked all the fluids and the belt is brand new and I hit all the zerk fittings with the grease gun. The new seat cover is on the way, I also ordered a few of the missing or broken oem parts.

Anyway... enough talk.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Dilly Dilly! And no shortage of Sarcasm here either!! Sounds like you鈥檙e very capable, I鈥檓 glad that machine found you. As far as the sway bar- most of them shift to the right causing the left side to get very close to spring. It鈥檚 normal, if it does contact, then the easiest fix is sway bar collars. Other options are longer links.
Yeah, I have been a gearhead since I was little. I will take a look at the swar bar. Upon a quick search of the google... these are bigger and wider tires. So that doesn't help with clearance on these stock wheels.

Mt Airy huh? I have a buddy who lives in Fallston. We go ride up at the cove in Gore VA sometimes.

Registered
Yeah, I have been a gearhead since I was little. I will take a look at the swar bar. Upon a quick search of the google... these are bigger and wider tires. So that doesn't help with clearance on these stock wheels.

Mt Airy huh? I have a buddy who lives in Fallston. We go ride up at the cove in Gore VA sometimes.
Awesome! Yeh Fallston isn鈥檛 far from me. I haven鈥檛 been to Gore, I hear it鈥檚 VERY rocky there. I鈥檓 going to try and make it to Mt Ridge ATV park in PA before the season ends.

Registered
Man that scrammy looks like it鈥檚 had some tough love for being a 2017. Hopefully it will get the respect it deserves from you. Bearing greaser and pinion cover should be on your 鈥渢o do鈥 list as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome! Yeh Fallston isn鈥檛 far from me. I haven鈥檛 been to Gore, I hear it鈥檚 VERY rocky there. I鈥檓 going to try and make it to Mt Ridge ATV park in PA before the season ends.
Yeah, we would head to The Cove or "Big Dogs" during wheeling events. I used to take my old jeep and toodle around up there. It is pretty rocky, but my 400ex did good around there. They have lots of trails. My buddy was telling me about Mt. Ridge. I haven't been to anywhere in PA except for Rausch Creek and again, that was when I would rock crawl with my heep.

Man that scrammy looks like it鈥檚 had some tough love for being a 2017. Hopefully it will get the respect it deserves from you. Bearing greaser and pinion cover should be on your 鈥渢o do鈥 list as well.
So as I gathered it... I am the third owner. The guy I purchased it from lives in a VERY small town and actually knew the original owner. Original owner admitted it was too much bike for him, he was the one who thumped it and also did most of the hack wiring. Then the guy let it sit because he was scared of it. Then decided to trade it in on a new 570. The second owner scooped it up the day after he traded it in. Rode it for a few months, didn't clean up the mess, added to it a little... but he did do some solid maintenance to it. He even showed me his receipts. He said he was looking to step up to a decked out 1000... So he let this go for a good price.

I want to make sure that it gets back to a good, reliable running condition. But I will say that I can NEVER leave anything stock. So it will get some upgrades.

Bearing greaser and pinion cover... got it!

Registered
Sounds good, and this site is an incredible book of knowledge with a huge number of awesome people willing to help.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
So today parts should start showing up. My mail carrier saw me messing with the scrambler Saturday, laughed and said... "Should I start expecting to deliver parts for that?"

hahaha... if that doesn't tell you something!

Any thoughts on the pinion cover? Any brands better than others? Looks like I should be able to replace this without pulling the whole case right?

Also, clutch kits... the PO put 27's on this thing. I would never look to go bigger than this... and honestly, I would go back to 26's... but these are pretty darn new. What's a good clutch kit out there?

Registered
Cecco or Custom MtoQuad for the pinion cover. QSC from RVS Performance for the clutch kit, but you probably don鈥檛 need one only going up one tire size. Up to you.

Reactions: VBTravisD

Registered
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So I am going to wait out the clutch then. Wasn't sure if there were other advantages to going with a clutch kit. Especially considering the Cecco order was pretty hefty. Front and rear a arm reinforcements, pinion cover and a hood. Like I said, I also have a seat cover, some random OEM parts and brake pads coming in the next week too.

This thing has a lot of backspacing on those stamped wheels... something like 6+1 and 7+1... I don't want anything too crazy... Looking around for some wheel options. Maybe something to add a little width to the stance. Do I really need to stagger wheel width front and back?

Registered
So I am going to wait out the clutch then. Wasn't sure if there were other advantages to going with a clutch kit. Especially considering the Cecco order was pretty hefty. Front and rear a arm reinforcements, pinion cover and a hood. Like I said, I also have a seat cover, some random OEM parts and brake pads coming in the next week too.

This thing has a lot of backspacing on those stamped wheels... something like 6+1 and 7+1... I don't want anything too crazy... Looking around for some wheel options. Maybe something to add a little width to the stance. Do I really need to stagger wheel width front and back?
No, lots of people use 10鈥 wide tires on front and rear.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Copy... I found a set that are 14x8, 4+4... I am going to take a look in the wheel/tire thread... see how that looks. Will that kind of negative offset wreak havock on ball joints and hubs?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts