Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just landed myself into a 92 Trail Boss 350L 4x4 (I think this is correct based on pictures from the internet). While I am a handy guy, I don't know much about ATVs and have never really worked on one. I need to find an owners manual and / or service manual to study up on. Initial internet searches have come up short. Is there something I missed or are these pre-internet machines?

Thanks,

Brick

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
I can supply you with a service manual, but good luck on an owners manual

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I appreciate you taking a look!

First thing I have to fix is the 3" nail I found in the front right tire. Old owner said that it will run, but does not like to idle. I read the clean your carb post on here and it sounds like the idle circuit needs cleaning. I also have to find some nuts and bolts for the battery terminals. The old owner could not find them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, tore into it a bit and removed the tank to get all the old gas out. The tank has a small fuel line on top of it and the end of that line is cracked and looks like it broke off. I am not sure if this is just a breather line or should b connected to something. The oil tank line has the same thing and it is routed up and into the steering shaft, I guess to help keep dirt and water out of it.

In this next pic, I think the line that I labeled "1" vents gasses from the crank case back to the carb. The line labeled "2" comes from a casing and seems to go no where (another breather tube?).

This picture is rotated 90 degrees by the image host and I can't get it fixed. It shows a line coming out of the bottom of the carb and going into a white plastic disk (I have no idea what that does) and then another short section of line after the disk that goes to no where. I am wondering if this was supposed to be connected to anything or that line from the casing that went no where also?

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
The small hose on the fuel tank is a vent line - it helps direct spillage away from the engine an lets air in the tank as the fuel level drops (the cap is not vented)

Pic 2 - yep, oil tank vent

Pic 3 - carb vent and transmission vent

Pic 4 - check valve in float bowl drain hose - lets fuel out and keeps dirt and water out

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Currently waiting on some new parts and hoses and such. The air cleaner box had a broken mount so I epoxied that up. The air filter itself looked original! The boot between the carb and the air box is disintegrating so got a new one of those coming. Have not got into the carb yet to clean it, I need to figure out how to detach the throttle and choke cable without breaking them (they look delicate).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, found a few vids on youtube that helped with the carb. The pilot jet did have a clogged hole. I adjusted the air screw to 3/4 out from bottom as the service manual said and it fired right up. Now I have some new things to look at!

There are what I think are heated handle bar grips. Flip the switch (its a 3 position toggle; hi, off, lo) and the ATV shuts off! I took the hood off that covers the wiring and holy flipping mess or wires! I'll screw with that later.

The handle bars / steering column are not straight. With the wheels going straight, the handle bars are turned about 10 to 20 degree off to the left. The column itself seems a little loose. Turning the bars, there is some where between 1/8" and 1/4" of play before you feel resistance. The bars / column can also be moved a bit when you pull up on them. Seems like that shouldn't happen.

When turning to the left, there comes a noise from the area down by my left knee. I think its coming from under that cover that I think covers the belt.

Lastly, after driving it around the yard a bit, the exhaust was a bit smokey and smelled like unburnt gas. Made me think I need to check the oiler or play with the air screw. While it runs and has power, it does not seem to idle super smooth, like there is a hicup every now and again. Its been so long that I don't remember if that is just the way a 2 cycle runs.

Brick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I took the plastic cover off to get a look at where the belt is and to figure out why it makes a loud noise when I turn left. First thing I see are these cracks on the end cap of this assembly. So how bad is this???

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
3,353 Posts
That clutch ain't looking good, in fact when it lets loose it will hit your leg.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Inspect those "cracks" very closely - they look like casting 'flash' to me

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure if its cast or forged, the parting line is on the side of the part. I did look a little closer and they do look like cracks but they all correspond to reinforcement ribs on the back side of the plate. Hasn't blown up yet right?

I made a short video of the noise that comes out when you turn left. You can hear it pretty good after about the 10 second mark. I have no idea whats causing this.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Vid didn't help me, sounded normal, but my hearing is shot (according to my wife) - there are some frequencies that I can't hear at all (thanks to an M16 when I was in the Army - 30% hearing loss in the left ear and about 10% in the right with 100% loss of hearing at certain frequencies in both).

The clutch is die cast and the dies leave flash in certain areas - if it's flash and you sand it, it will be gone and all looks uniform - if it's a crack and you sand it, but can't still see the crack, then get a dye test kit from anyplace other than Amazon and check it.

I won't buy anything from Amazon, Ali Express or Alibaba if I can get it somewhere else even if I have to pay a bit more for it - Amazon like Ali Express and Alibaba are either owned or controlled by China - I go Ebay, Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist then to the on line classifieds - if it can't be found anywhere, then I look for a substitute and last (if all else fails) Amazon.

I bought from Amazon 3 times in 2020 and sent one thing back because it was not as advertised. Hell, I'll buy from walmart.com ahead of Amazon, but Walmart is just as bad and I will go to a local lumber yard, hardware store or Farm Supply ahead of Lowes, Menards and Walmart.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hear ya on that, I hate buying crap from the chicoms. I found the noise to be the back side clutch cover was getting rubbed by the clutch. Looks like it tore up the seal and maybe more damage but I will have to wait for my clutch puller to get here to see more. I used some zip ties to pull the cover away from the clutch and then took it for a spin and no more noise.

Next up will be to replace the front shocks and springs. The right front shock does not work and I think it has been gone for some time because the spring on that side isn't holding the front end level. My guess is that spring has been over worked because of no help from the bad shock. Any recommendation on replacements? Nothing high end, just oem quality. I don't beat on things anymore.

·
Registered
2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
553 Posts
I just went through replacing the struts and it is a simple job if you remove the A-arm first. I have had them off and on now probably 6-8 times getting this and that fixed. I got mine off eBay for about $120 for the pair.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts