Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just aquired a used trail boss 250. I'm trying to figure out where the vin tag is mainly so I can get the year model off of it. The atv is in really good shape and appears to be garage kept. Even the seat is in pristine shape. The frame is black with white fenders and a red gas tank cover and red luggage rack. Any help on trying to identify it would be appreciated. And thanks for having me aboard. Matt

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the site!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
unfortantly polaris has moved the vin around a lot

two places to look

stamped on the lower frame rail just behind the front left wheel. you would see it by looking in through the wheel well. it might be covered up with mud or dirt, but thats a super common place.

also, if all you need is the model year you can look either side of the engine case, usually on the stator side, and see if there is a fairly square white sticker that has a few numbers on it. the biggest set of numbers would give you the year from the first two numbers. i think there are usually 6 numbers total.

let me know if either work

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found it. It was on the lower control arm. It"s a '98 model. I can't get it to start. It cranks pretty easy. Just doesn't have a spark. Is there anything I could check before I go and spend money on a replacemenmt? Thanks Matt,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I was able to work on the atv a bit today before the rain set in. I pulled the plug and it does indeed have a spark. I have the gas tank off because the gas that was in it was old. I attempted to start the engine with some starting fluid and it wouldn't do anything. Any ideas?
My wife picked this atv up for me last week from a guy at her work. It was not running but I don't know why. Would low compression cause it to not want to run? It has compression just not sure if its enough. It's fairly easy to pull with the rope.
It has spark and I sprayed it with ether. It should run or at least pop a few times. Any help would bw appreciated. Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I had actually just picked up an 87 Polaris 250. Doesn't seem to have any spark. But the guy i got it from said it was the carb, i checked the carb and its clean as can be and the fuel is comming up cuz i check the spark plug and its wet.

In these atv's does there have to be a battery in it no matter wat to get spark? If so that could be my problem I'll try that saturday. But anyways

I looked a lil deeper and there seems to be a brown wire fried... The wire itself is intact as far as i can tell but the covering is gone so im going to attempt to change it but it seems to go under the carb into the motor some where... A Wiring Diagram would help me the most at this point.... I had took the spark plug out and pulled it over and no spark from the plug or the screwdriver I put in the wire. Im guessing the old owner had a battery in it and didn't run with it either.. If so can i not hook a wire from the battery to the stator and a ground to the frame??

·
Registered
814 Posts
Welcome to the site!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
welcome

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having almost the same exact problem with my 96' trailboss 250, it started after I did this but it died because I believe my floaters in the carb are messed up. But Look at your Exhaust system and the "U" Shape part of the exhaust going into the engine, pull it up to where it has a gap in between the engine and the exhaust system, now if your having the same problem I am, gass will flood out, then let it drain for a little bit and as your trying to start it spray some W-D40 into the Air intake. It worked for me for about 30min because something is still wrong. So try it and see if you have better luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
vin tag

I just aquired a used trail boss 250. I'm trying to figure out where the vin tag is mainly so I can get the year model off of it. The atv is in really good shape and appears to be garage kept. Even the seat is in pristine shape. The frame is black with white fenders and a red gas tank cover and red luggage rack. Any help on trying to identify it would be appreciated. And thanks for having me aboard. Matt
if you take the seat off and look at there is going to see a bar thats part of the frame and its right there....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts