Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new to me '87 Trail Boss 4x4 250 the other day for only $200. Its in solild shape and does start and idel nice but when you get on the gas it pops and bogs and......dies. Had little power even for a 250 LOL! But it does start right up via pull or electric. Put half a tank of fresh gast in and a can of sea foam. Plus a new NGK plug. Also sprayed carb cleaner right in the carb and sea foam in the carb (smoked the neighbors out!!!!!). It runs better but still want to die after a few laps around the house. The guy had it sitting inside for 3 years so you think its just bad gas/dirty carb still?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Sounds like a gummed up carb. to me!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10-4 thats what I was thinking so you think just keep running it with the gas seafoam combo or get another can of sea foam and dump it in the card direct and hold the throttle WOT and smoke the neighbors out LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
I'm really not to "up" on Seafoam! So I couldn't say!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL! seafoam is like B-12 Chemtool or like a STP fuel treatment but one that actually works.....like 6.50 a 16oz can. Its the best stuff out there think I will dump a can through the carb......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well after dumping some more sea foam down the carb its running alittle better....but not great by anymeans. Still feels like it is maxing out rpm's and then it pops at the high rpm's and im only going like 20mph if that some time it even come to a complete stop and want to die. Its got to be carb/old gas because it is getting alittle better. It starts right up and idels perfect. I just got in from pulling the carb off and apart some. Overall it "looks" clean in there. Should it "look" dirty? I drained the tank and will put in fresh fuel. Got to get more carb cleaner to finish. What else could this be? Put in a new NGK the first day will put a new one in after the carbs back on. The belt looks ok too and the oil in the tranny is clean looking. Should sell it for a Honda LOL!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I own an outdoor power repair shop.Evan though a carb looks good does not mean it is.Take the carb complettely apart and dip it .Soak it for a half hour then rinse with hot water , after you are done blow it out real good with air. Blow out every port hole you see . then make sure your float is at the correct drop.also make sure all your gaskets are good and clean.if they are not then you will suck to much air and it still wont run wright.this should get you going.P.S make sure there is no rubber or plastic on the carb when you dip it .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK thanks for the tips! I took it down to the float bowl off only and blasted it with sea foam deep creep. Put it all back together and it runs alittle better but stil pops and bogs out too soon. It pretty quick of the line but then it poops out big time. I geuss I could do a rebuilt kit on it is that hard to do? I put it up for sale on CL just to get rid of it fast. Maybe I will rebuild the carb if no hits. Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ha ha!!!! Well we will see I may have someone interested in buying it.....

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Oh yea my wifey reminded me of "something" I can do in under 30 mins!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SOLD IT! No more POS POO LOL!!!! Thanks all for the help now onto Honda for me :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
carb

bet the jets are gumed up. after siting for 3 years it happens. all the little ports and jets get cloged up and iv seen them sit in b12 for a week and still not get all the crap out, i take a very small wire(torch tip cleaners) file off the rough end and use them to poke the crap out of the jet holes and clean and blow out with high presure air and most of the time they come back like new. you can even boil them in water to get stuff out. just be shure float and any plastic parts are off the carb.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh crap that infor came a day too late I just sold it the other day! Oh well made 3x the amount I paid for it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts