Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, Im the owner of a Honda fourtrax but im looking to buy an old farm bike one of my childhood friends owns. the 2001 Polaris sportsman 500HO they bought new and it has gone through them growing up as well as a lot of farmwork. it wasn't used for pulling anything and it has never been sunk or flooded. they didn't maintain it very well and when it crapped out a few weeks ago they took it to their dealership they use for all they atvs and side by sides and they were told it wasn't worth it to fix the issues with it. they parked it in a barn to rot. my question is, like my Honda barn find, would it be a good investment to get it for next to nothing, put in my time and money to make it run properly or is it better off to let rot? Im very mechanically inclined and have a lot of time for that kind of work but im not sure of the quality of these bikes. My Honda was a wreck but it just needed TLC and it wanted to run. any info would be helpful. Thank You

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
In my opinion.... It greatly depends on what is wrong with it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't feel that there was anything catastrophic wrong with it when it broke. I think it was mostly just a lot of small issues like wiring and battery and tires. probably definitely could use all the fluids change, spark plug and wire as well as some new wiring and connections cleaned. I just wonder if its like my Honda and will still keep running for years to come if I address these little issues or if they are prone to falling apart after a hard life

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Well that's a dealer for ya', most likely trying to steer them to buy New.

How many miles does it have? If you think its only small stuff, I'd go for it. These are tough long lasting machines, the 500 engine is probably polo's best/simpliest engine. So yes it will run for years if you get the small things plus basic maintenance. There is much free information and advice on this site & for really tough stuff go to ATVConnection, under brand name discussions, post in Expert section seeking out OPT (old polaris tech). He really can help ya'. Luck!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Welcome to the board and go for it especially if you can get it for nothing tuff motor jgue498 hit it right on the head

1 - 8 of 8 Posts