Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2005 Polaris 700. I've never owned a Polaris atv before. My question is; What are some common problems to look for on my 700? Im going to go through it all and service it myself this weekend, just want to know what to look for on this particular model of bike.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just bought an '05 700 as well. How many hours/miles does yours have on it? Good luck with it. From what I have read they are very solid machines. I just bought an EPI clutch kit to help with the belt slippage/lag on the low end. Also installing a water temp gauge to keep an eye on what the radiator/fan is doing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I just recently bought my first Polaris as well (Sportsman 850 XP). I've never owned my own machine before but I've riden many others. I must say out off all that I've been on, Polaris seems to tower above the rest. Sorry but I can't help you much with the frequesnt problems question cause I'm looking to do the first service on mine as well. So far I've had zero problems though. Good luck with your service and congratulations on the new machine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
make sure you change the oils with the right stuff, Polaris makes so many oils it does get confusing !! motor oil, frt diff oil, rear diff oil, trans oil , are all different !! If it has ADC make sure you put the LT frt diff oil in it !!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Your right, I went to the dealers to stock up on fluids and they didn't even know the XP's calls for an XP transmission fluid. So be sure to look at and take your manual with you when buying fluids, It will help with those headache.

·
Registered
563 Posts
No doubt.You gotta keep an eye on em':bigeyes:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeah for sure. They like to try and get you however they can sometimes. Make you come back for replacements or even service so definitely take that manual with you and read over it before hand. Make sure you know as much as you can before going in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1. Over Heating if you ride in alot of mud. Make sure you flush out the radiator fins good with a garden hose to keep the air moving.

2. Exhaust melting rear fender. If trail riding in warm weather it will melt the fender. Polaris make a heat shield kit that fixes the problem.

3. Anti Freeze Leak. Problems with the water pump seal, will see antifreeze coming out of the weep hole under the pump. Fix, new seal and gasket. In the process of fixing mine. Waiting on the $36.00 seal.

These are some problems I ran into with my 05 700.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Coolant weep

I've got that coolant weep on my 2003 Sportsman 500HO. Is the seal replacement hard? Does it take special tools? Should I just pay the dealer? Thanks for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts