Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks
thinking about getting a 2013 500 ho
i have never had a polaris before but have owned alot of other atvs.
i read that there is no engine brake on the 500 base model?
how do you guys traverse downhills without it?
are polaris atv reliable?...........thanks

·
Premium Member
3,501 Posts
Welcome! We don't have EBS on the wife's machine or either of the Magnums. Haven't had an issue going down hill. Judicious use of the brakes seems to work fine.

As for reliability, Polaris machines are as good as any of them. All depends on how it's used and maintained. If you go into it knowing that it will take maintenance before and after each ride, you will be just fine.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
If you've used many other ATV's you should be used to running without EBS as it's hasn't been around all that long. if you're not ok with just using the breaking, you can learn to feather the throttle so that it engages the belt, but doesn't accelerate you.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
i read that there is no engine brake on the 500 base model?
how do you guys traverse downhills without it?
Depending on the slope..... I will use low range and keep one hand on the brake lever and the other just on the throttle enough to keep the clutch engaged. The first few times it's a weird feeling to do, but it works just as engine braking would.

are polaris atv reliable?...........thanks
I think every machine is reliable.... as the maintenance put into it.

But with these "older/value-line" model machines... they are nearly bullet proof!! It's some of the XP models that have had some 'less reliable' tendencies! :fing02: :D

ENJOY THE "NEW TO YOU" MACHINE!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts