Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Polaris. I know nothing about them. I just bought a 2005 sportsman 90 2 stroke for my son. Can you guys give some advice on what to do and make this things work for him for a couple years to come. I know nothing about maintenance or any thing about it. I checked the front brakes tonight and it needs new shoes on the front. What about oil? Is there just trans oil I should change. Any type of engine oil I should use? I just know Honda's? Do they have engine oil? Or just oil for the mix since its 2 stroke. Plus does the trans have a curtain oil i should use. The guy I bought it from told me he just put a new chain and new front and rear sprocket on it. It looks new. It runs great. I just want to change all the fluids out and start with new since I don't know the quad. I know Polaris will say to use there brand of fluid but do I have to use theirs or can I just use a curtain kind that meets spec. Thanks for any reply's. I also notice a little window for fluid level on the side of the engine. Is that transmission oil or something.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello All. New to the site but have been riding for a while.I came across a used 1995 sportsman 400. I was looking for a newer year but found an older one in new condition. It has 340 miles on it and has been kept in shop its whole life . He says he has putted around on both of them atleast twice a year and has had the service done even though he hasn't ridden much. He has a 400 explorer same year but the speedo is broke so he doesn't know exact miles. Ive ridden both and they run good. They are 2 stroke. What would be paying too much?? What would be a good deal. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
978 Posts
welcome to the forum guys

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hello All. New to the site but have been riding for a while.I came across a used 1995 sportsman 400. I was looking for a newer year but found an older one in new condition. It has 340 miles on it and has been kept in shop its whole life . He says he has putted around on both of them atleast twice a year and has had the service done even though he hasn't ridden much. He has a 400 explorer same year but the speedo is broke so he doesn't know exact miles. Ive ridden both and they run good. They are 2 stroke. What would be paying too much?? What would be a good deal. Thanks for any help.

If you haven't already, start a new thread in the purchasing and price sub-forum. You'll get more answers bec people won't look in this post for your question. Good luck, they sound like nice machines!

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I am new to Polaris. I know nothing about them. I just bought a 2005 sportsman 90 2 stroke for my son. Can you guys give some advice on what to do and make this things work for him for a couple years to come. I know nothing about maintenance or any thing about it. I checked the front brakes tonight and it needs new shoes on the front. What about oil? Is there just trans oil I should change. Any type of engine oil I should use? I just know Honda's? Do they have engine oil? Or just oil for the mix since its 2 stroke. Plus does the trans have a curtain oil i should use. The guy I bought it from told me he just put a new chain and new front and rear sprocket on it. It looks new. It runs great. I just want to change all the fluids out and start with new since I don't know the quad. I know Polaris will say to use there brand of fluid but do I have to use theirs or can I just use a curtain kind that meets spec. Thanks for any reply's. I also notice a little window for fluid level on the side of the engine. Is that transmission oil or something.
Welcome to the forum :shakehands:

It sounds to me like you need to get yourself a service manual and start to read. You can try here: http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-repair-maintenance/30688-service-manuals.html
First, Hello & Welcome :wave:

Great idea, changing all the fluids to establish a good maintenance platform to start from. May also want to think about the air filter and spark plug.

Check the link provided.... the Sportsman 90, should be about the same as the Scrambler 90. Just different plastics to physically appeal to your riding style. Also just an FYI..... If I recall, I think these are re-branded Kymco machines..... :dunno: Maybe someone else can confirm that, if it helps with finding parts and repair info!

Your son will love it! Not to mention all the memories made and father/son bonding will last a lifetime!! Nice work dad ;)

Edit: Another thought.... to get the simple fluids info your looking for you can go to the Polaris website and download a pdf copy of the owners manual!?

Enjoy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts