Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all my Polaris Friends, I've been ridin Polaris for the last 5 years now. My current ride is a 06 Sportsman 500 efi limited edition (nuclear red with flames). My wife rides an 08 Sportsman 400HO. We ride up in West Va (hatfield McCoy and Wagon Wheel). We usually put about 800 to 1000 miles a year on our rides. I plan on getting a 550XP eps here shortly and possibly a RZR 800 in a few months. All of you 550xp owners, please tell me what you think of your ride. All of the attention goes to the 850. the 550 seems to get no love at all for some reason. Appreciate your comments. I'm glad I found this site. All of the other sites seem to be focused on riding in 30 feet of mud with 40 inch tires and snorkels that reach to the heavens. I'm in to trail riding with the occasional mudhole here and there.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Mostly log truck roads with trails and sand dunes thrown in once and awhile here!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I purchased a 550 about 2 months ago. I "test rode" a 09 Yamaha Grizzly 550 and the 09 Honda Rancher 420 AT (PS and non PS). I rode the Polaris last. The ride is what did it for me...very stable. I have not ridden the 850, but I can only assume that it would ride like the 550. The 550 obviously does not have the same power, but it thas done everything I have wanted/needed to do. I have ridden it at Calliente in Tn. and have a trip planned to WV in late August. I hate to say this, but I have had a couiple of issues with it..only 100 miles on it now. The ECM went out at 80 miles and now the lower A-arm bushings are worn out. Not trying to "bash" the machine, love the way it rides and the features, just providing MY experience so far.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I only have 12 hrs. on mine but it seems ok so far.Knock on wood.I would plan on buying a different set of tires.The Carlisle Terrathon tires are ok for average trail riding,but when the trails get a little slick,they are terrible.They have put me in a bad spot a couple of times already.If you hit a mud hole once in a while,you might want to get a winch if you keep the factory tires.They do ride good.If you ride the XP and then switch to an older Sportsman,it feels like you are top heavy on the older one.I like my 550XP,no complaints yet but the tires.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've had no problems with my 550 XP, But I'm upgrading the rear brakes to have four wheel Disc. Also my brother has a 650 v-twin Arctic Cat that has aftermarket mods. and he has a hard time keepin' up, Can't beat the smooth ride and EPS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts