Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for someone with the method of bypassing the speedometer to hardwire the 4WD so it will work with out replacing a 300$ speedo ? I know for a fact that this has been done but just need the wiring diagram to complete the modification. Thanks !

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hhhhhhmmmmmm

I just bought an 01 Sportsman 500 that the speedo doesn't work on and ironically the 4WD doesn't work either. I didn't realize that the speedo not working would prevent the the 4WD from working. Today I found that if I push the reverse override button the 4WD will engage. I don't know if this helps you or not, but maybe your hard wire theory has to take place in the override button.

·
Registered
421 Posts
yes the speedo controls the awd. it should shut off the awd at high speed, and should also turn the awd on when the rear wheeles spin.

you could check ebay for a used working speedo from a 00-04 sportsman. or do the below wire mod>

brown/white pin "e" on the speedo. this will be ground. so ground this wire. you should still beable to use the awd on/off switch and the awd light will also come on.

if that dont work then there is issues on the other end of the wire.

but do that first.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I just bought an 01 Sportsman 500 that the speedo doesn't work on and ironically the 4WD doesn't work either. I didn't realize that the speedo not working would prevent the the 4WD from working. Today I found that if I push the reverse override button the 4WD will engage. I don't know if this helps you or not, but maybe your hard wire theory has to take place in the override button.
yours works when you push the override only when in reverse? or when in any gear?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the help ! I will try out the wiring this week ,

and let y'all know how it works out. Thanks again !..."DOC"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry its been so long ! Computer fried.........Just bought new one and am online !

The ground fix worked as instructed. The light doesnt work, and I don't care, because the 4WD works fine again !! Thanks again !...Doc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts