Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to all this upgrading. I got a 2012 sportsman 800. 27 inch swamp lites. Primarily use mine for hunting but I need some upgrades. Struggling a little too much when pullin out big bears. I'd like to go up to 28 inch silverbacks. I've seen the clutch kits and power commanders and gear reductions. How do I know which ones are right for me? Which lift is best? Help please!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Are you pulling in low range? That kind of work should always be done in low unless you want to buy a new belt.
Going to a bigger tire would make it worse. If you do I would definitely go with a clutch kit. Either way use low when pulling.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Getting rid of those sucklites can't hurt either. Like said before, the larger tires will be worse... unless you are just spinning anyway. What are you pulling through? Low range is a must when pulling a load like that.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sucklites.rotflmbo.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Silverbacks are a mud/swamp tire. Unless you have to drag the bear through the everglades I would go with a tighter tread for a smoother ride. I like the tires I have. Nice deep lugs for mud but a tight enough pattern for hardback trails. They also work excellent in rocky trails. I got my 27/9/12 & 27/12/12 for $407 shipped. I've put 800 miles on them with little to no wear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Qsc or epi clutch kit. Makes all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
An 800 with mudlites should have no problem pulling 1000+ lbs in low gear all day long without any mods. Unless you're going through knee deep swamps with it towing 500lbs behind it that's not on wheels you shouldn't need anything else done to it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've towed moose in low range through cut blocks with my 700 just 26" mudlites and no other mods really haven't found it to be a problem and I think a Canadian moose is a bit heavier than a bear? don't know what your issue would be? What do you mean it struggles when pulling? I usually need someone to sit on my front rack to keep the front end down when I tow a big one, loads of traction, never been an problem.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Id go clutch kit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts