Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

It's been ages, and I finally gave up on the old 02 SP700 when I did a big move interstate and sold her at my garage sale.

It was a good machine but well used, and I spent as much time working on it as riding it, as well as spending the price of a new one in todays market.

BUT...

I am looking a buying a couple of hundred acres of neglected cattle farm, and am trying to get some serious equipment OK'd by the accountant and included in the finance, all brand new.

As well as a new Kubota 70 hp tractor with some implements, I'm considering the following new items from Polaris.

1. Ranger Diesel.

Not much to say here, as they seem to be the only one in their class that I like.

Mostly utility use around the cleared 60-80 acres carting gear/stockfeed/etc, picking up firewood, but I'll also push it up through the 100-140 acres of heavy bush to survey and hunt.

I like diesel torque and would be happy with 50-60km/hr on that land.

2. SP 400/500 HO

These things are so cheap in Australia it's ridiculous at the moment, nothing close other than chinga rubbish that I won't touch.

Would be used for shuttling around the farm, and to be used by the missus/kids.

Bit of trail riding as well up in the bush.

2 dealers have told me that the 400 (455) is more reliable than the 500, despite the 500 being their top seller.

One went on to say that the carb could give trouble on the 500 due to a design flaw.

Both seemed decent fellas and were adament that the 455 motor was sweeter and the rest of the machine (which is same on both models) was bulletproof.

I am aware that the 500 is being superceded.

3. SP 570/800

For me.

My ride to knock about on and really push through the worst stuff up the back of the block, as well as invade the remote state forest adjoining my block.

Keen on fuel injection, and if I went the 570 might even opt for power steering.

Bit worried about the 570 being untested.

Would love to hear what you blokes think.

Not really worried about resale or latest mod cons (unless they're tried and tested reliable).

Polaris are my favorite quad bike, BUT I am also a realist and know that they do knock out the odd lemon.

Please hit me with your recomendations

·
Premium Member
10,590 Posts
i think they all make sense and are all good options. i like diesels also so the ranger sounds the coolest. i dont recall hearing that the 400 had mechanical reliability advantages over the 500, that being said if either will be for the wife and kid i think those are fine options. 570 and 800 i can only see the ps option as a reason to purchase it over the 800, my choice would be the power of the motor rather then the power of the steering.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
all should serve you well for the uses indicated. though I would suspect you'll end up using that ranger for a lot of the bush whacking of the tractor, over the 570/800.

if it were me, I'd go with the 570. It's been tested in the Rzr's and passed with flying colors. it's just new to the ATV side of the block. the only benefit of the 800 is top end speed. and about 200 lbs of towing. not worth the price increase if you ask me. and if you're looking for top speed. neither of those machines are the one for you. you want the 850, or a sports bike.

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
I'd have to agree with ThorsHammer on all counts. If you go with the 570, you will be kicking yourself if you don't spring for the power steering option. After riding one, you will wonder how you ever made do without PS. It's really that good.

·
Registered
129 Posts
ditto on the power steering - 570 all the way

·
Registered
180 Posts
Double ditto on the power steering. Had the chance to ride new 550xp last week on the moose hunt and it is unbelievably smooth

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep,

I'm pretty much set on the Ranger Diesel (it's a 3 cylinder 903cc Yanmar), the 570 with EPS and EBS if it has it.

But for the missus/kids I'm thinking of going to the dark side and getting the Grizz 300 4x2.

Thanks very much for the replies.

·
Premium Member
10,590 Posts
Yanmar makes a nice engine. I have a 1113cc 3 cylinder in my John Deere tractor. Absolute beast of a motor. If ur jumping ship on the wife/kid quad might want to look at the John Deere UTV's. I have a JD tractor and all the implements are also JD. Very expensive product, but I haven't come across a product or company as well thought out as JD.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
why are you considering losing the 4wd for the rest of the family?

Also the 570 doesn't have EBS.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why are you considering losing the 4wd for the rest of the family?

Also the 570 doesn't have EBS.
Just because the missus would only put around open paddocks and the kids are a bit young for a full size.

The 300 grizz has an air cooled motor, but still has a low range as well as a price comparable to the Hawkeye 300 which doesn't have a low range (but does have IRS).

The 450 4x4 eps grizz jumps straight to $11k, which isn't gonna happen.

Don't know about the hawkeye, but the grizz 300 got a real good rap in the reviews I read, and despite being 2wd was said to hit out of its weight division in tough country.

The land we are looking at is about 100 acres of cleared rolling hills down to creek flats, surrounded by 300 acres of mountainous (Australian definition of mountains, you may call them hills) thick scrub with rainforest in the valleys.

Epic quad country. Went there today, just can't wait to break out the toys.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I've got a hawkeye and have nothing but praise for it. but then again, I'm not looking for top speed. I'm looking for functionality. The only thing that's let me down so far are the stock tires. which if things keep going the way they are the 570 conversion will be waiting for another year and I'll add some STI diamond back ATR's to it for the mean time. it's a very capable little wheeler if you ask me. and the 4wd is a definite plus. The only reason I want to upgrade is because it was bought for my wife (4'10" and 105 soaking wet) who has no intentions of riding it, and I'm 6'5" and 245 so the smaller machine is just not so great on the ergo's for me. I haven't noticed a need for a low gear yet, and I drag a road grader behind the thing and run out of traction before I run out of pulling power.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm...

Went down and looked at the Ranger Diesel today.

Not so sure now.

Bearing in mind I put up with a fair amount of breaking down crap from my old SP700 and still loved the thing.

The Ranger looked a bit junky to me, hope I'm wrong.

The issues I spotted at a glace:

1. Very thin metal in the frame, quite noticable. I know it's engineered, but engineers can be wankers sometimes.
It looked more like pressed tin than box section steel, and that makes me worry about flexing/cracking.

2. Plastics secured by cheap looking clips that look destined to fall out/off.

3. No grease nipples (zerks?) on the suspension. Some of them had them, the diesel didn't. That's a big no no for me, being someone who's had to replace all the bushes in his SP, and knows the importance of keeping the grease up to them.

4. Cable housed in crappy split conduit just laying unsecured across the front compartment.

5. Very flimsy front seat cushion that just pops in with clip posts over the motor. A bit more flexible than I'd prefer, and likely to suffer from being pulled out often for maintenance.

6. Slimiest piece of crap lying salesman I've come across for some time...tell you any old thing, sell you a rats arsehole and tell you it's a wedding ring.
NOT someone you want to be going to with a problem after you've paid I'm tipping.

Before you all get annoyed with me.

I am VERY biased TOWARDS Polaris. I went down with my mind made up from the specs on the net, now I'm not so sure.

I'm going to at least have a look at a Gator 855D and a Bobcat 3400 (yes I know its a Polaris driveline, but it's a fair bit heavier so may have a more rugged chassis??).

This is a lot of dough to spend, and on first impressions in the flesh, I have doubts creeping in.

Please feel free to enlighten me with real experiences/knowledge, and understand I'm not trolling or Polaris bashing.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I can only give my comments three of your items.

1. the plastic clips are designed to fail so that the plastic doesn't. they clips are cheap and easy to come by. and a far better choice than having to replace the plastics every time you bump into something.

2. the lack of grease zerks isn't that uncommon these days. My '05 Chevy Trail blazer doesn't have them either. The parts are designed to keep their grease, not push it out. I have yet to have a failure from a part that would normally be greased on other vehicles.

3. Don't judge the product by the salesman. Remember, dealers are all independently owned. meaning that they aren't Polaris, or Polaris products. They are a middle man. My guess is there aren't a lot of places you can go down there to get a Polaris, so yeah, either try to work with a different salesman at that dealership, or go to a different dealership.

you might look at the Brutus vs the Ranger. My guess is the Diesel Ranger is just a Diesel engine put on the ranger frame vs and ranger body put on a diesel frame. The Brutus could be the later.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hmmm...

Went down and looked at the Ranger Diesel today.

Not so sure now.

Bearing in mind I put up with a fair amount of breaking down crap from my old SP700 and still loved the thing.

The Ranger looked a bit junky to me, hope I'm wrong.

The issues I spotted at a glace:

1. Very thin metal in the frame, quite noticable. I know it's engineered, but engineers can be wankers sometimes.
It looked more like pressed tin than box section steel, and that makes me worry about flexing/cracking.

2. Plastics secured by cheap looking clips that look destined to fall out/off.

3. No grease nipples (zerks?) on the suspension. Some of them had them, the diesel didn't. That's a big no no for me, being someone who's had to replace all the bushes in his SP, and knows the importance of keeping the grease up to them.

4. Cable housed in crappy split conduit just laying unsecured across the front compartment.

5. Very flimsy front seat cushion that just pops in with clip posts over the motor. A bit more flexible than I'd prefer, and likely to suffer from being pulled out often for maintenance.

6. Slimiest piece of crap lying salesman I've come across for some time...tell you any old thing, sell you a rats arsehole and tell you it's a wedding ring.
NOT someone you want to be going to with a problem after you've paid I'm tipping.

Before you all get annoyed with me.

I am VERY biased TOWARDS Polaris. I went down with my mind made up from the specs on the net, now I'm not so sure.

I'm going to at least have a look at a Gator 855D and a Bobcat 3400 (yes I know its a Polaris driveline, but it's a fair bit heavier so may have a more rugged chassis??).

This is a lot of dough to spend, and on first impressions in the flesh, I have doubts creeping in.

Please feel free to enlighten me with real experiences/knowledge, and understand I'm not trolling or Polaris bashing.
You got me LOL hard there.

Don't judge the product by the salesman but Watch out if buying from him. You could end up bent over foward to sign the countract while he gives you the dry bare back. (read the contract carefully)

as for polaris product they seems to old well in our rocky trails. I have good expectation from polaris.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You could end up bent over foward to sign the countract while he gives you the dry bare back.
Without so much as a reach around:yikes: That's just rough:saevilw:

Seriously though, I am weary of our local stealer as he does have a dodgy rep and first impressions count.

I'll have a look at the alternatives before shelling out the money.

·
Registered
852 Posts
yeah Diesel is just an 800 with a different engine. compared to the 900 the Brutus has a heavy duty suspension and hydraulic transmission as well as the Diesel engine.

I believe the Bobcat 3400 is just a ranger in Bobcat clothing. different looking plastics everything else is basically the same. except oddly they sell a 2x4 version?!

Gator 855D is nice, built strong like a tractor! but they really lack leg room... and you almost need a Deere dealership to fix some problems if they happen...

you could also take a look at the Kubota's and Mule Diesel.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I test drove a diesel and was really unimpressed. i'm sure it will last forever, but it was loud and ran like a turd, but then again my neighbor has one on his farm and loves the fuel mileage as compared to the 800 or 900. if it were me, and I were going to spend that kind of money, go for the ranger 900. better ergos, quieter, better power and better cab options and after you ride it, you'll take it instead of your quads on off road adventures. they're just an all around great machine. my favorite Polaris I've owned to date.

·
Registered
416 Posts
You could end up bent over foward to sign the countract while he gives you the dry bare back.
Without so much as a reach around:yikes: That's just rough:saevilw:

Seriously though, I am weary of our local stealer as he does have a dodgy rep and first impressions count.

I'll have a look at the alternatives before shelling out the money.
That's what I would sugest you. If you want to make shure you have a good services after the purchase. Good luck with it and give us an update. :fing02:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts