Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good morning,

last week i had Tusk Terrabyte tires (27x9-14 front, 27x11-14, rear. the installer put about 10psi in each tire. the ride was what i would call "twitchy" meaning kinda tilting left/right with the smallest road irregularity. the crappy factory tires (2 ply!!) did this with this air pressure so i reduced the pressures to 7-8 psi and the ride improved somewhat but still as above.

has anyone else experienced this, and know the cause?

thank you, scott

·
Registered
2018 Polaris 850 SP Camo
133 Posts
I had Tusk 26" Trilobytes on my XP550 for three years. Never had any issue with them like that. They were 8 ply and stiff so ran less pressure for a better ride. My biggest complaint was they would pick up rocks in the treads and throw them up underneath my fenders and frame. Beat the heck out of the underside of the fenders. The treads were deep and too close together so rocks would pinch between the treads and then get flung out. Didn't like that. Wouldn't buy them for that reason.

·
Premium Member
12,337 Posts
Start @5psi and work it from there!!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go down to 2 (two) # and start up from there. I would never think of running 5 # of air. I always run from 2 to 3 1/2 # of air in my tires.
what vehicle? what tires?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok. ive aired down to 5 psi per tire and the sway/twitching is marginally better but unstable at mph on highway. is this just by product of higher ply tires?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also, do any of you run highway with 8 ply tires on quad and experience what im describing?

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
1,353 Posts
also, do any of you run highway with 8 ply tires on quad and experience what im describing?
My 850 steering has always been twitchy on pavement over 40-45MPH...regardless of tires on it.....but I don’t ride on roads, I have maybe 4 times, in 2 years, short distances....I think maybe if you are going to often, then you might need road rated tires.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 850 steering has always been twitchy on pavement over 40-45MPH...regardless of tires on it.....but I don’t ride on roads, I have maybe 4 times, in 2 years, short distances....I think maybe if you are going to often, then you might need road rated tires.
thank you. the tires in question are highway rated. what psi do u run?

·
Registered
949 Posts
manual specs 7 but i guess thats for factory tires. 5 seems low?
Are they 10 or 8 ply? Either or ,,,,Im with popo3,,,start at 2 or 3psi I run sedona ripsaws and am at 4f & 3r psi (MAX) will drop lower in the snow.
7-8 psi would be brutal

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
18 PoPo 850 sportsman. Sedona Rip Shaw. But I run ran/run it on stockers. Run it on all tires I have ever had.
thank you for your reply. they are 8 ply Tusk Terrabytes. my quad is a Polaris 1000XP Touring (2 seater). the twitchy-ness is particularly evident (and disconcerting) on the highway above 35 mph.

·
Registered
2018 Polaris 850 SP Camo
133 Posts
I had my Tusk Trilobytes up to 60 mph on my XP550 on a paved road and they ran fine. Maybe a little twitchy but nothing to really notice. They were 8 ply hard tires with deep tread. Ran those tires until a month and a half ago when I sold the machine. You are always going to notice handling irregularities with different types of tread, lengths of tread, width between treads, harder or softer tire material, and tire pressure on varying surface conditions. It is like riding a snowmobile on a hard pack trail with a 1", 1 1/4," 2", 3", track w/wo studs, etc., lug track. Going to handle different with each. Just need to find the right one that fits the majority of the conditions you ride on or in and accept that in out of the ordinary riding conditions they may handle a little different. On one of my Suzuki King Quad 750's I put heavier custom radial tires and SS212 rims. At one pound over the recommended tire pressure they would wobble at high speed. Went two pounds under recommended and they were fine at all speeds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts