Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay quick question looking for input for everyone--was at my local dealer today and asking if the had any tire/wheel combo's avaible in stock and had nothing but did say he can get me a set of aftermarket polaris tires and rims for me for just under a grand....my question is they are 14 inch and my stock tire and wheels are 12 inch. i asked if that would affect anything or would i need a clutch upgrade and he said nope...good to go. i have a 2012 sportsman 500ho LE camo edition....all stock except for cosmetic add ons. i have read by going with a bigger tire/wheel combo then stock you should do a clutch kit. also going from 12 inch to 14 inch won't that effect the speedo and tach readings and other stuff or am i just being paranoid thinking he just wants to sell me the set.this is the set i am asking about--
http://www.purepolaris.com/en-us/Atv/pages/detail.aspx?ItemID=2878436(PolarisPGACatalog)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Just curious, have you checked out discount tires or Rocky Mountain ATV for tire/wheel combo sets? I would imagine they'd be cheaper than a dealer

·
Registered
178 Posts
Check out discount tires direct on here they've got good prices and fast shipping

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have 14" on my 13 500ho with 700 miles this summer and had absolutely zero problems. Although i have recently installed a QSC clutch kit. Only reason being, i use it alot for pulling/work around the property besides just ridin'. Needed the extra low end grunt and man did it livin it right up.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Just a couple of comments.
1 - I would never buy wheels and tires from the dealer. They are WAY over priced.
2 - I would never switch from 12" to 14" wheels and tires. You pay more for them, and the ride and offroad performance suffers badly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks for the input and Bobx2...how will effect the ride? just wondering....i use the machine for trail riding ...nothing crazy and plowing in the winter time. thanks again for the input ! and one last thing...i know everyone has dozens of opinions on tire manufacturer but which one (tire) is good for general trail and hill riding and along with good grip in the snow. went to rocky mountain site and WOW...not sure which are good better and best ones to choose, sorry for being a pain in the a**

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
For general riding, maxxis big horns are #1. They also last forever.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
You will lose tire sidewall by going to a 14". Sidewall flex is where you get a lot of ride quality from, as well as more protection from rim damage and pinch flats. You will have to run higher tire pressures to avoid those problems, which also affects the tire footprint and ability to wrap around rocks and such when climbing over them. The only way to avoid all those issues would be to run a 28" tall tire on a 14" wheel. Then it would be the same as a 26" tire on a 12" wheel. Then again, there is the added cost for everything 14".
I second the choice of Maxxis Bighorns for the best all around tire you can put on an atv.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Asking for what tires are the best is like asking what color is the best lol. You're goin to get a lot of opinions. While Maxxis Big Horns have a big following, they're not the holy grail either lol. I run STI Black Diamonds and love them. I read that some maxxis guys complained about "loose" steering or wonder with the big horns. I ride aggressively and didn't want that so I went with the BD's. Couldn't really find anything bad about the tires and so far I'm happy. Ride and traction is great!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
see this is why i love this site.....i get all opinions and nobody is bashing the others idea's! thanks for all the info and now i have some homework to do! i did check both sites for tires(rocky mountain and discount tire) and didn't find any wheel / tire combo's sets...do they do them or should i call them. thanks again

·
Registered
422 Posts
Rocky mtn has them. Ya have to look kinda hard for the link. Just search for either tires or wheels for your machine and somewhere there you will see something like "make tire/wheel package". I just did it about a month ago. Not sure about Discount tho.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Rocky Mountain is were I get my stuff just ordered a set of 26 Duro's which are a big horn copy and they are a radial with ITPss216's mounted and shipped for under 630 bucks and its free 3 day shipping..I also run the BD on my 500 and really like them as well they were under 700 shipped
If you stay at 26's or 25's then I wouldnt worry about the clutch kit but when you get bigger you dont need to get a kit but it will help tires 27 and up are heavy if you trail ride alot the BD's are great but there is a ton of choices out there..my opinion a radial is the only way to go better handling and tracton but thats my .02 cents

·
Registered
422 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts