Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Sportsman 400. I want a bigger wheel and tire package. Nothing extreme and no lift. I would like to swap out the current wheels with XP wheels. Are they the same bolt pattern, do I need to worry about the drive belt and or clutch, and will the axles be ok. I know it would be a small change but just want to make sure. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
dont know if the xp will line up but the maxxis zillas will fit right on! Im running 26 inch on 14 in rims with no spacers or lift on my 2013 800. They are really light and dont require a clutch kit how ever i did put one one just for the heck of it

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Welcome Peter! i think the offset on the XP wheels causes and issue on the Value line bikes. we can take one of my XP wheels and try it on you machine sometime. before you go and drop the money on a set of wheels.

i dont think they will cause a clutch of axle issue, if anything the wheel should be lighter than the tire. so taking 2" of rubber out for some aluminum may not affect you at all.

·
Premium Member
11,453 Posts
Need more info on what type of terrain u will be riding in. But I'm going to guess here and say the xp rims u want are the aluminium ones? Because why would u go from steel 12's to steel 14's. So if ur running in the the northeast and specifically for ur bike I would suggest maxxis bighorn 2.0's. They are one of the lightest heavy duty tires u can buy. U are going to want the lighter tire to save those ponnies from rotational mass. If the xp wheels have the same offset as ur stockers then the bigs should work without spacers.

·
Super Moderator
7,074 Posts
Do yourself a favor and stick with 12" wheels and wrap them with a set of 26" Bighorns. Guarantee you would be more than happy with that.
XP wheels will not fit without big spacers, and 14" wheels suck anyway.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just curious as to why you don't like 14" wheels.

·
Super Moderator
7,074 Posts
Because you lose tire sidewall, which makes you much more prone to pinch flats and wheel damage. To combat those issues, you have to run higher air pressures which means you lose sidewall and tread flex, which means poorer performance off road and a harsher ride. Add to that, 14" tires and wheels cost more and you have fewer options to choose from. Other than that, I guess they are ok. :ponder:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ i agree, i would rather have 12's if i could. side wall and selection are much better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys thanks for the input. I like the idea of keeping stock rims and wrapping with 26". Keeps the cost low and I'm a steel wheel kind of guy. I will take all options into consideration. LS6rally we all should get together some time. Seems like we've got a lot in common.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ sounds good man, a chevy guy with a Polaris. I think we will get along lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts