Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I managed to install a new Super Winch 3000 on my 2013 400 sportsman.All went together with little difficulty.My question is, should the cable be visible? As of now you are unable to see it because of the plastic grill that is in the way.I would like to leave the grill as it helps keep stuff off the cable.But I could have a tangled mess if the cable is not properly wound.What is the proper way?Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The only solution is to take your time and guide that cable back in properly after each use. It only takes a few minutes and should be done with or without the grill.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I agree to an extent.If I am unable to view the cable how can I be assured it is properly rewound?Thanks,Ken

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a 2012 500HO. I actually cut that lower part of the grill out that is right in front of my winch. It actually looks like our was meant to be that way.
It's not very difficult to do with a sturdy sharp knife or a dremel type tool. Caution should be exercised when using a knife.

seabee78

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Sounds fine, no wrong, its just your way.

As mentioned you may find it useful to be able to properly and evenly rewind the cable... Is the cover easily removed? Maybe if not it could be. That way when the winch is used, simply remove the grill then replace when finished...

CW

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Yes I agree to an extent.If I am unable to view the cable how can I be assured it is properly rewound?Thanks,Ken
When rewinding keep a little tension on the cable... do not allow it any slack or it may pinch itself. I'd recommend a "dog kong" (or actual "winch saver") as means to keep a little flexable tension on the cable even when ideal or at rest.

If using the winch to lift a winter plow (maybe not an issue in TX), I would suggest synthetic rope or a boat winch flat strap to keep it fron pinching / kinking itself.

Link: http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-general-discussion/37863-plowing-winch-cables.html

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
GREAT POINT!!!
A winch saver is a great thing! It has a number of safety and useful purposes!

Its a weight that should be slid to the mid point of any cable use. In the enent of a break its weight will help keep the cable down. Its also great to stop the annoying squeaks and clanks of your hook! LOL

Also it helps to block light from your syn lines!

I have used them on my jeeps since discovering them. I was happy to see they are made smaller for ATV use too!

CW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts