Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Polaris winch installed on my 2012 xp850. The winch has failed. So I ordered a Viper Elite winch.
My question is can I just install the new winch and use the current wireing from the Polaris winch and just hook up the 2 wires to the new winch motor?
And not replace the contactor box and handlebar switch that will come with the new winch.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yes. Save the rest for spares.

·
Registered
215 Posts
That is what I did when i got my new one. The original wires were heavier and so I just used that and kept the rest for spares.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
as long as the exsisting power cables are of same guage or bigger you will be fine....warn had a upgrade kit for some winches a while back...it involved heavier guage cables and switch an contactor..the original cable was under size an deprived the winch of full potential..but they wanted to charge you for the kit..lol..124.00 ..I just bought a new winch..

·
Registered
575 Posts
What happened to your old winch? Just curious if your motor went bad like mine?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Sean nothing was wrong..just seemed it had no balls for a 2000Lb winch..my bad lands 2500 on my suzuki was way better as far as pulling...it was a known problem with the Warn A2000..why Warn came out with the kit ..but charged for it..they had a recall on the original contactor also...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The old polaris winch started making a lot of noise this year when raising the plow. Finally it failed to raise the plow but would lower it just fine. So I spooled the rope on the drum backwords. And it would lift the plow fine and lower it ok but slowly.
But after this last plowing I did. It is totally locked up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts