Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just got a used 01 Trailblazer and I wanna work on it my self. I know it needs some basic maintenance but not sure what so I wanna do it all. I never owned an ATV so not sure where to start. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
11,130 Posts
Slick, my suggestion would be to first get you a good service manual or download one from here. I still like a hard copy myself. You'll also learn a lot by reading/searching the forum discussions. Take your time and ask questions when in doubt.
To answer your question about initial maintenance on a used machine, I'd start by cleaning the machine good first so you can spot any potential problems while doing the other stuff. You might want to start a maintenance notebook to keep track of things. Then get all 4 wheels off the ground so you can wiggle/move tie rods, wheel bearings and the swing arm to check for worn or loose parts. You'll have to block it up under the center to be able to wiggle the swing arm. Check the chain/sprockets and lube the chain. Check/clean/re-oil or just replace the air filter if needed. Fill the oil tank with good quality 2 stroke oil. Drain the gear case oil into a clean container so you can inspect it for metal particles or water and refill with good quality oil. Polaris oils may be easier for you right now. Grease any fittings you find while going over everything else and always look closely everywhere for loose bolts etc. to try and catch anything BEFORE it becomes a major problem. You might also want to pull the clutch cover and belt to clean the clutches and maybe go ahead and install a fresh belt. Save the old one for a spare.

Whew...that ought to keep you busy for a while. If you run into any problems or have questions don't hesitate to ask.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts