1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
sounds like a good plan you might want a clutch kit as well , of course depends how big you went .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
26" tires on 14" SS wheels. Stock tire size is 24"...I was told if I stay within 10% of factory tire size I may not need to lift it at all....

·
Registered
14 Posts
The only drawback is that with the bigger tires and a 2" lift, you change the angle the axles work on, from my experience, i am going to remove the 2" lift and go to 28" tires, the 26's on there now with the lift and i am on my 4th front axle, they get kinda pricey after a few, if you are not gonna ride the bike hard though, you should be fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it a bad idea to lift??

Really? I have a 330 which is the smaller polaris 4x4. I got the 26's on and they rub when turning with just the weight of my plow.

I dont have much of a choice if I want to keep these wheels. Is it a bad idea to lift???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well no, the idea is great and works wonderful. The problem is that when you are in a water hole with 4 feet of water and stumps etc, the front tends to float a little. When the front is floating, the struts are extended to their limit, therefore changing the drive axle angles, if you suddenly find a stump, and a tire hooks up to it and gets traction, the axle driving that tire takes a great load, and in my experience breaks. If you are not going to be doing any heavy mudding etc, then you will probably be fine. The added clearance provided by the lift and big tires is great, just as long as you dont ride really hard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well no, the idea is great and works wonderful. The problem is that when you are in a water hole with 4 feet of water and stumps etc, the front tends to float a little. When the front is floating, the struts are extended to their limit, therefore changing the drive axle angles, if you suddenly find a stump, and a tire hooks up to it and gets traction, the axle driving that tire takes a great load, and in my experience breaks. If you are not going to be doing any heavy mudding etc, then you will probably be fine. The added clearance provided by the lift and big tires is great, just as long as you dont ride really hard.
Thanks for the reply, and good explanation. If that is your idea of riding hard (4 feet of water, stumps, ect) than I am pretty gentle on my machine. I have it for ice fishing, plowing snow, occasional deer hunt and small chores around the yard.

Is that the main reason for NOT going with a lift? I highly doubt my struts will ever be extended to their limit when riding.

I am only going with a 2" lift on my 2004 polaris magnum 330 4x4.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, by the sounds of it, the lift would cause you no problems at all. I have installed 2 types of lift, 1 from super atv and 1 from superlift. The super atv lift is great, it is easy to install (i have done 2 of them ). The superlift kit is a heavier looking kit, but after grinding the struts down to make clearance, i figured the superatv one is better. It is also way cheaper ($80.00 can) and can be installed in 1 hr approx. Just a note, if you install the superatv kit, be sure to loc-tite the new parts on the struts, trust me, it is way easier than reinstalling a strut in the middle of the bush.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts