Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

This is my new 2009 Polaris Ranger Crew. I was born, raised, worked and retired in Miami Florida. My backyard is the Everglades National Preserve. I am trying to use this buggy to navigate and hunt the swamps. I am new to this machine and am learning all of it's capabilities and shortcomings the hard way. I used to be a backyard mechanic back in the days of the "Big Block" muscle cars. Today, everything is high tech and I am having to learn new ways.

We had to modify it a little for the Everglades Swamp.

We had to create a snorkel kit and move the radiator and fan up on the roof so it doesn't get clogged with mud. We also added a second radiator fan on the other side of the radiator running in reverse. (This fan pushes more air and really helps keep it cool. Both have manual override toggle switches on the dash. I also installed an analog engine temperature gauge so we can monitor the temperature all the time and not have to wait for it to overheat to know there is a problem.

We are still learning and now are trying to figure out why the gearbox overheats during stress and will not shift unless the parking brake is applied. (When you are trying to go back and forth to get out of a bad spot, this problem is a real pain in the butt!) ;)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Your problem sounds like the bearing on the primary clutch has dirt or belt dust in it. This will do exactly like you are describing. If you have any questions you can email me at [email protected] or call 651-340-1129.

Good Luck Dale

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your problem sounds like the bearing on the primary clutch has dirt or belt dust in it. This will do exactly like you are describing. If you have any questions you can email me at [email protected] or call 651-340-1129.

Good Luck Dale
Dale,

I took the cover off and inspected the belt and could not find any intrusion or dust and the bearing seemed smooth and spun freely. The belt did at first seem to be a little loose, but maybe that is how it is supposed to be in neutral?

I read the service manual on how to take the belt off. It said to put it in geal and apply the brake, then pull the belt up and out.

That did not work! :fuercht:

I sure as hell hope they didn't expect me to do that with the engine running? I wasn't abouit to get my arm ripped off with that clutch spinning! :undwech:

Someone mentioned the actual gear shift cable heating up. Maybe when I put all of that piping in for the snorkels I pushed it close to heat? But, that wouldn't explain why it will go in gear when I apply the parking brake?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks Again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts