Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just picked up a 2008 Sportsman 500 x2, and the front tires are pretty worn from asphalt riding (about 2300 miles on it). I have done a lot of reading on this forum about tires and wheels, and from what I can tell I would be well off with the Maxxis Bighorn tires. I couldn't find the stock sizes available (Stock front is 25X8-12 and rear is 25X11-10) so it looks like I will have to upgrade the wheels also. The stock wheels are different sizes but looks like I will have to go with 12" front and rear for aftermarket. Everything I saw was a 12 x 7 4.0 +3 - I am guessing the 4.0 is positive offset (which if I read correctly a 4" positive offset will move the tires in 4"?) So I would need a wheel spacer? This is all very confusing, I wish they would just make the factory size so I didn't have to change everything. I need a little insight here!

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
For the Bighorns I went with 25" on factory wheels without a problem. Front 25x8x12 & Rear 25x10x12 Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
10,349 Posts
For the Bighorns I went with 25" on factory wheels without a problem. Front 25x8x12 & Rear 25x10x12 Welcome to the forum!
wasnt positive if the original BH's were available in 25".
also wanted to add you could go with the BH 2.0's, i know they are made in 25" size.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was one of my thoughts, the rears are a bit smaller than stock but not enough to worry about. Thanks all for the welcome!

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
That was one of my thoughts, the rears are a bit smaller than stock but not enough to worry about. Thanks all for the welcome!
Bighorns run true to size. The stock carlisles said 25" but were really 24". Do you have steel or aluminum factory wheels. If you went with 26" you gonna need 1/4 spacers or more on the front unless you choose aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Have the steel wheels. The problem is if I DO want to change the wheels later down the road, I can't find 10" rears in anything I like. As it is, my favorites are all 14", but I'm not going there.Looks like if I DO want to change wheels they would all be 12 x 7.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Ebay usually has nice polaris factory aluminum wheels in 12" for a decent price. Good luck! lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts