Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm fairly new to riding. I bought my 6 year old a chinese 110 that looks a lot like polaris plastic and stickers but has honda clone motor. He has a blast with it. The little chinese wheeler i was riding became too small for me pretty quick....then of course I broke it good......
I found a great deal on the outlaw I wanted. Cant wait to hit the trails and track! Rippin in the snow for now.
This machine had the choke routed improperly when i got it. It would start up and would idle high. Since i've re-routed the cable properly the bike is very hard to start. I have to give it gas. This is only when cold/overnight. After it started and warmed up and the choke is off it idles and runs fine. the re-starts the rest of the day are no problem......Just hard to start when cold. Should i try lower octane gas? Is giving it gas to start a problem? I would like to be able to set the choke start right up.....shouldnt have to give it gas...should I?

Check out the video....from labor day!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVzBfhFSKjo

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
sounds like a carbed machine. it is just the nature of the beast that carbed machines are hard to start when cold. cold air is denser, has more air molecues in it, so it trying to start while really lean. giving it gas to get started is perfectly fine, actually that what i was going to recommend you do. when you give it some gas while trying to start, it allows extra fuel to get mixed with the air in the carb, thus riching up the fuel mixture until it can fire up. a different octane gas isnt going to help, its having a hard time starting because of the air, not the gas.

the only way to get it to fire right up when cold is going to rejet it, but that is a pain to be doing a lot of you will have to rejet it again when summer comes around. this is the advantage of EFI machines like our cars, and EFI atv's. they can compensate and adjust their fuel ratio to the elevation and temperature, carbed machines are in a fixed fuel delivery system

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved! Check this out! Predator outlaw hard to start?

Valves where the problem. Adjustment was easy. DOne in an hour and a half. ALL the thanks in the world to exriders.com.

If your outlaw or predator becomes hard to start over time, it is not "just a carbbed machine". That may have been the case in the 1970's..... The problem is definitely the valve shims. THe job is easy and the shims at my local dealer cost 2.40 for all 4.
I have more power and it starts right up when i hit the button everytime! Purrs like a kitten, and runs like new!

You should be able to start these machines with the choke and push button, without having to give it gas. This problem was slowly getting worse and got to the point that it wouldnt even start with starting fluid. I re-built the carb, jetted, adjusted the mix....nothing. If and when it started, it would run fine and restart with a bit of throttle no problem once warmed up although the idle had to be set a bit high and was a bit erratic with the choke on.

Good luck and check out exriders.com for some good info!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotta do what ya gotta do......

MY cousin came over and saw the ATV apart and said, "you aint afraid to dive right in are you"? He knows I am no mechanic. I guess i am mechanically inclined as i seem to fix lots of motorized stuff.... I was hoping there would be someone here who had been through this before but it looks like that wasnt the case. I wanted to make sure the next guy could figure this out without all the trial and error of rejetting and cleaning carbs repeatedly.
I know these bikes should start with choke and push button without having to give it any throttle. Cold or not, the basic mechanical carb on this machine is tech'd up enough to start this machine on its own with the choke. They should all purr like this......
Happy Rippin......

·
Registered
78 Posts
MY cousin came over and saw the ATV apart and said, "you aint afraid to dive right in are you"? He knows I am no mechanic. I guess i am mechanically inclined as i seem to fix lots of motorized stuff.... I was hoping there would be someone here who had been through this before but it looks like that wasnt the case. I wanted to make sure the next guy could figure this out without all the trial and error of rejetting and cleaning carbs repeatedly.
I know these bikes should start with choke and push button without having to give it any throttle. Cold or not, the basic mechanical carb on this machine is tech'd up enough to start this machine on its own with the choke. They should all purr like this......
Happy Rippin......
def agree 100% with u, i just got a laugh cuz I read the posts one after another and it went from tilte newbie to detailed instructions LOL...dunno i thought it was funny. Again glad shes running good, from what i read that seems to b a common complaint from everyone bout these bikes, lucky mine runs perfect so far( knock on wood)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts