Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2001 xplorer yesterday. Its the first polaris I have ever owned so I don't know to much about it yet. It acts like it has a stall converter in it(like a car). It has to rev kind of high before it will start moving. Once it gets going it runs great. I like playing around on little hills and stuff but it doesnt want to even climb small stuff. It just revs up and the clutch doesnt engage. The guy I bought it from told me it had an aftermarket clutch in it. He told me that he had the clutch set up so it would build up the rpm's before it would engage, (that way it would pull harder when the clutch engaged). Im planning on using it for plowing snow this winter and I want the clutch to engage as soon as I give it throttle. So my question is, is there a way to adjust the clutch at all or did he feed me a line of BS. Does it need a new clutch or is it adjustable? If it is adjustable, how do you adjust it? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brad

·
Registered
527 Posts
Brad, The clutch can be adjusted but first it would be great to know what clutch kit is in your machine. There will be a number or letter stamped on the three clutch weights in the primary clutch. The helix in the secondary clutch should also be stamped to identify it. Both springs will be painted a different color. Keep in mind that changing one of these components can have a huge affect on the performance of the machine. If you have any questions feel free to give me a call at 651-340-1129. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts