Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody,

I pick up my 2013 Sportsman 850 this Saturday. It's my first ATV, and it's been 4 years in the making (saving money, consulting the wife, waiting for the right time, etc., etc.).

I have spent the weeks since I picked it out reading the manual, learning about maintenance issues, the break-in period, and it's features. I have ridden every ATV out there, but this is the first one I have owned and been responsible for.

My questions are in regards to maintenance.

I am going to try to learn how to do the basics on my own (changing oil, filters, greasing parts, etc.).

What would I expect to pay to have my dealer do basic maintenance things of this nature (service checks, oil changes, fluid checks/changes, brake pads, etc.). I just want to weigh if it's worth learning to do on my own or not.

Also, do ATV tires need to be rotated like a vehicles do? I haven't come across that in the manual yet.

Thank you in advance for your input.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
The dealers are pretty expensive , ask them before you buy it and get it in writing., Its not hard to do your own, depends on how handy you are, cant really rotate tires cause front and rear are different tires and wheels, rear are wider.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Continue as your going. Buy the manual maybe two (different manufacturers) and read them read here and watch Utube videos it's NOT DIFFICULT!

YES ITS WORTH WHILE TO DO THESE THINGS YOURSELF!!!

One trip to dealer for say a first service and be HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS! Parts required for that service UNDER 100 closer to 60/70$ even cheaper if you shop parts! Buying popo brand oils are costly and NOT REQUIRED. Search here many posts on suitable replacements. Many including myself believe brands like Amsol are superior to factory brands. NO YOU WILL NOT VOID warranty doing your own service as long as you use minimum factory recommendations.

At some point you may need dealer. But it should not ever be for basic maintaince or repairs.

CW

·
Registered
595 Posts
While under warranty just make sure you keep receipts and write mileage and hrs on back of them. The dealer is going to charge you at least $75-$80 an hour to work on your ATV, so the more you do yourself the more you'll save.

·
Registered
255 Posts
As CW said, buy the Polaris OEM shop manual. It's a good investment and will give you a lot better understanding of the workings of your machine. Even if you have someone else do your repairs, this will give you a "leg up" when talking to them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts