Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, apologies for what I'm sure seems like a very basic question...I'm the new owner of a 1997 Polaris Mangun 425. I just changed the oil for the first time (used Polaris 5w-50) but the oil plug is leaking. (no leaks at filter or prior to my involvement). I tightened the nut to moderate tension, but never gets tight. Do these things usually have a crush washer that might be the difference? Plug just seems too easy to turn.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It sounds like your oil plug may be stripped and that you may need to pick up a oil plug repair kit. There are several available but I've never used one so I can't recommend a specific brand.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd remove the plug and inspect it and the engine drain hole threads. May be possible that a helacoil kit is needed on the engine drain hole or possibly a new plug..... if it doesn't tighten up. You could always wrap it with a few rounds of Teflon tape to seal it up.

Another option may be to drill it out and tap it to the next larger size..... and get a larger plug.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
yes they have a crush washer..as a quick fix doe as said try the teflon tape as a build up...some have siliconed it in with the hi heat gasket maker..but need to wait a day before you add oil for it to cure...the silicone is flexible to remove plug later...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the advice. I plan to pick up a new crush washer, as I'm hoping that will solve the issue. If not, I'll try the teflon tape and maybe get a new oil plug. Another related issue has sprung up. I have the ATV parked in my garage for the past couple days, and placed a small pan under the oil plug to avoid stains on floor. Today, I noticed some clearish liquid in the catch pan...did not look like oil (too thin and clear) and had a gasoline-like smell. I'm hoping that 0w-50 oil contains some fuel, which separated and leaked out of the plug. (since there's no crush pin). Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I recommend replacing the plug w/a new one.

Here is why. I have a couple sporties, I noticed my 98's oil plug magnet was super weak compared to my '10 unit. Here is one on ebay (really from fixmytoys) for 10 bucks delivered. 1995 1996 1997 Polaris Magnum 500 2x4 4x4 6x6 HDS RMK Oil Tank Plug | eBay

plus of course the washer: 1997 polaris magnum oil plug washer | eBay

If that doesn't work then the other ideas of teflon tape (which it does use on the other side of the tank for the metal filter). Good luck - test well before heading out for a long trek.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Teflon tape is clearly a temporary fix as it's designed for pipe threads only. The threads on the drain plug are not designed to seal the oil, only the gasket under the plug head is for that.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Thanks all for the advice. I plan to pick up a new crush washer, as I'm hoping that will solve the issue. If not, I'll try the teflon tape and maybe get a new oil plug. Another related issue has sprung up. I have the ATV parked in my garage for the past couple days, and placed a small pan under the oil plug to avoid stains on floor. Today, I noticed some clearish liquid in the catch pan...did not look like oil (too thin and clear) and had a gasoline-like smell. I'm hoping that 0w-50 oil contains some fuel, which separated and leaked out of the plug. (since there's no crush pin). Anyone have any ideas?
I'd look to see which drain tubes were above the fluid in question. Could it be water (condensation or melted snow) off the motor? I'd try to trace it to it's source to be certain.

Teflon tape is clearly a temporary fix as it's designed for pipe threads only. The threads on the drain plug are not designed to seal the oil, only the gasket under the plug head is for that.
Very true.... and it should also be clarified that if this is used, only apply it to the first couple threads near the head. So you don't get any floating around in the oil system!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts