Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not new to ATV's, but am completely new to Polaris, so please bare with me. I just bought a new 2019 Sportsman 850 SP. I see XP mentioned all of the time while looking for mods to buy. What is an XP? Is that limited to the 1000? Is my 850 SP an XP as well? As for the SP, are the only differences between the base model the fender flares, ESP, ASC, wheels and color?

On to the Active Descent Control-Can I keep it in this mode all of the time or should I only use it in low? The manual doesn't really get into the specifics other than saying activate ASC before ascending or descending a hill. I'm new to CVT, so I want to make sure I'm not going to hurt it and want to break it in right.

I find myself forgetting to put it in P. I'm sure that can't be good, but would it be catastrophic if I leave it in H overnight or something? (I haven't yet).

I'm sure I'll have more questions......

Thanks in advance.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,609 Posts
Your SP is not an XP, that indicates the touring model as far as I can tell. It doesn't matter at all if you leave it in gear all t he time. It will start in gear as long as the brake is applied. As far as the ADC I am not an expert. I only use it on the trails when dealing with a really steep descent. Otherwise I usually leave it off. I might have the AWD on if it's muddy or otherwise slick but generally i am in 2WD high for the trails.

Just for the information, the CVT is nothing more that a belt drive just like snowmobiles have used since the 60s. The engine and transmission are not connected at all other than by the belt drive. You can't hurt it by not putting it in park.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Your SP is not an XP, that indicates the touring model as far as I can tell. It doesn't matter at all if you leave it in gear all t he time. It will start in gear as long as the brake is applied. As far as the ADC I am not an expert. I only use it on the trails when dealing with a really steep descent. Otherwise I usually leave it off. I might have the AWD on if it's muddy or otherwise slick but generally i am in 2WD high for the trails.

Just for the information, the CVT is nothing more that a belt drive just like snowmobiles have used since the 60s. The engine and transmission are not connected at all other than by the belt drive. You can't hurt it by not putting it in park.
Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with snowmobiles as I had a few of them- a Polaris RMK 800 and Yamaha SRX Viper 700 (go figure, living in Las Vegas) but I thought I read something about the belt "hourglassing" if it wasn't kept in park. That's reassuring as I am sure I will forget to put it in P at some point.

Is there anything specific I need to do to break the belt in right other than varying engine speed as I would for any other engine break-in? So far I've put 26 miles and 1.6 hours on it. Do I need to avoid engine braking or ASC going down hills during break-in? We climbed and descended an 8300 mountain on Sunday and I was kinda worried about the descent as the belt is new.

·
Premium Member
3,609 Posts
There is nothing specific for breaking in the belt that I know of. Try to let the belt get warmed up before you hit the throttle too hard I guess. Just the same as for the engine.

·
8,879 Posts
You need to spend some time using the search function in the forums and reading. There's a wealth of information on here. SP and XP are two different model styles with very different features.
DO NOT run around with ADC turned on all the time. It is DESCENT control... ONLY to be used sparingly when needed to descend very steep grades with no throttle very slowly so that all four wheels are holding you back. You will cause premature wear of expensive to replace front gearcase parts leaving it on all the time. You can run with AWD on anytime you're on a trail where it may be needed. I usually turn it off to let it "rest" when on gravel roads etc. and then as soon as I leave the road just flip it back on and forget it. This prevents you from forgetting to turn it on when needed and getting into a bad situation before thinking about it. NEVER EVER hit the AWD switch when the rear wheels are spinning!! That can cause expensive damage to the front gearcase. You can flip the switch on or off at any speed but NOT if the rears are spinning in relation to the fronts.
You don't want to let the machine sit and idle for long periods in gear. Shift to N or P for that. Park is also a safety thing. The machine can't move when in P just like your automobile. You can leave the machine in gear to shut off and start back without causing any problems so long as you hold the brake to start.
The manual should tell you about belt, brake pad and engine break in. You just need to take it easy on acceleration, stopping and rpm range for at least the first 10 hours. No WOT runs. No jamming on the brakes at speed. No heavy loads or pulling logs. Vary your throttle input up to about 1/2 throttle for the first little while. Don't let it idle for long periods or run for long periods of time at one speed. Vary it up and down.
Grease every fitting on your machine first thing. Its supposed to be done during set up and prep at the dealer but often times gets skipped over or only half ass done lol. Also make sure to check all fluid levels especially coolant as it will go down a little during the first couple hours of operation as air works out of the cooling system.
After the first 10-20 hours or so, change the oil and filter, check the machine all over for loose fasteners etc. and have fun. A good break in is key to a long healthy life for your machine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts