Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new to the board. I just bought a new Scambler XP 2 weeks ago. My first day I had it I rode it 60 miles. The quad was great.
On Saturday I filled the quad with fresh 93 octane from a reputable gas station. Yesterday I start the quad and it stalled right away. I didnt think much of it. So then we went for a ride. It was sputtering and just didnt feel right. I turned it off, and it would not start again. Then it would start and I would hold the gas all the way, and it would barely run or idle. We guessed it was bad gas. I took the fuel line off and turned the key. The pump is working. I also checked and I am getting fuel pressure to the rails. Of course it had a full tank. We could only siphon about 3 gallons out. Then we put fresh gas and 2 bottles of dry gas in. Immediately the quad started to run better, but then it crapped out again and finally wouldnt start.

My guess is that it has to be the gas. I am going to try to empty the whole tank. Whats the best way to do this? If I pop the fuel line off and put one on the sending unit and turn the key, will the pump empty the tank into another can? Or do I have to siphon it all. Also should I try some seafoam? My thoughts are it was bad gas and not a mechanical issue. If I took 3 out of 5 gallons out, that still leaves 2 gallons of contaminated gas. Thats almost 1/2. The quad is under warranty but if I bring it to the dealer, and they say its bad gas, I know they will charge me. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
944 Posts
I had to drain some bad gas from a boat recently. Walmart has a hand pump in the auto section, less than $10, that worked very well. Once the flow started, it siphoned. When the gas level was low enough that air was induced, I could still hand pump out the rest.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
did you check plugs etc to see if they're fouled.. Being that new, I wonder if something is out of adjustment.. Throttle position sensor is something I've seen a few guys comment on with regard to rough running or poor idle.. Is it throwing out any codes?..

·
Registered
133 Posts
did you check plugs etc to see if they're fouled.. Being that new, I wonder if something is out of adjustment.. Throttle position sensor is something I've seen a few guys comment on with regard to rough running or poor idle.. Is it throwing out any codes?..
I was with him when the ATV failed.....

We pulled the plugs on the trail....the surface was jet black but the carbon just wiped off with my fingers and they were a typical brown plug color underneath.

The ATV would hardly run at any throttle position - and would stall out. We assumed it was the gas....but I understand the fuel was changed again with no success.

It was very disappointing to drive two and a half hours for 5 minutes of riding on a brand new machine :disappointed:. Looks like it's going to the dealership....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got code 520194 which is a throttle code. It says voltage too high or low, throttle blade stuck. I did a little research and it seem to be common on the 13's, and the rzr's. It looks like it maybe a tps sensor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine did this the first ride I went out with it. Was babying it for most of the time but when you have that much power at your thumb its hard not to stab the throttle. I hit it once and the quad sputtered and instantly went into "limp" mode. It killed the quad and gave me same code, turned the key cleared the code and its been fine ever since. Always run 91 Shell V-power or Husky 94 and have around 800 miles on it now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's at the dealer now. I'll keep everybody posted. It's not the gas

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They have been looking at it all day at the dealer. All I know as of right now is the compression is low on the rear cylinder. It's not sounding good

·
Registered
133 Posts
They have been looking at it all day at the dealer. All I know as of right now is the compression is low on the rear cylinder. It's not sounding good
Cam gear spun on the crankshaft.....after some pushback from the newbie, the dealer is replacing the entire engine instead of rebuilding.

Horrible luck!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have no idea whats that is. why are you putting in 91 anyway? manuals says you can use 87. Hope is gets resolved quickly!

how much is it to replace normally? just wondering.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had a problem with mine this weekend....running at 25 to 30 mph for several minutes, nice and steady, off the throttle to slow down at an intersection, went to goose it and she stalled, with the engine symbol flashing.... Stopped the quad, idled, then spun her up again, she took off as usual, flying! Engine symbol cleared when I went to idle. It did this again a few minutes later, again after a long steady run. Went another 20 miles, steady and ripping it, no problems..... Very strange. I run 91 or 93, as I have had issues with 87 in my other machines. Have over 700 miles on her.....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Stopped by the dealer yesterday.........

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts