Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK..still really new to this and feeling my way around. I just purchased a 95 Sportsman 400 2 stroke 4x4 (selectable). Probably not the best idea for me since 2 strokes are not my forte AND this is my very first ATV...but for $500 for a running atv..couldn't pass it up.
So..here are the questions.

I had to replace the CV boot on the Right front. followed the Clymers guide and I think I did a good job. really not much different than a car. repacked all the bearings with good grease (because it was pretty dry in there)...THEN read in the Polaris service manual that I was supposed to use ATF fluid and not grease. Sigh.....really?? transmission fluid instead of bearing grease? Can someone tell me the problems I will face here if any?

When I bought it, I found an open port at the rear base of the engine. I am assuming it is the Oil fill port (where the missing dipstick goes) I built a cover for it, but I also noticed it was bone dry....should fill it with 10w30 right?

Then I read about a counter balancer...never head of one until now. since everything else was bone dry, I am assuming it is too...anyone know where the fill port for that is? I read that it also takes 10w30.

Also....it seems to be dripping 2stroke oil out of a breather tube under the bike...is this an issue? it's possible I put too much oil in the tank.

I was lucky I think, I haven't ridden it much at all and won't until I KNOW it's all set. I did find the transmission oil stick...it was also bone dry, filled it with 10w40. Replaced the rope in it...it was dry in there too (but is is supposed to be).

Can someone out there help me out?

·
10,652 Posts
You need a service manual ASAP. 2 stroke engines don't have oil in the crankcase. The oil that mixes with the fuel lubes the crank. The open hole you found sounds like the counter balancer fill hole.
Grease is too thick and sticky to allow the Hilliard clutches in the hubs to work. The hubs need ATF or Polaris Demand Drive fluid and are only filled to about 1/2 full.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you. I really appreciate the reply. I'm glad to hear that that open hole I found is the counter balancer because I didn't know where else I would look.
as for the grease in the hubs, it looks like I'll have the cleanest hubs in NE.I guess I'm going to have to clean them out and redo them again, but it's really no big deal

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts