Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say "hi all" and introduce myself. I'm Skuffknee Lee, I have raced/road/fixed dirtbikes and streetbikes for 25 yrs, also an aircraft mech for the last 20 yrs. Just got my first ATV a few weeks ago from a co-worker so I'm cherry when it comes to quads.

That brings me to my problem, it overheats and has a starter or solenoid going out.

I think the overheating is the fan fuse (fan works sometimes, when it doesn't, the HOT warning comes on). But I can't find the fuses. I saw some pics of some wrapped in black plastic under the light, but I don't see anything like that on mine. I only see a connector with three prongs between the two halves under a clear plastic cover. I looked under the seat and under the light, no luck.

The "click" start I will ring out with my meter, but I think its the solenoid. I cleaned it and tightened the terminal lugs the other day and it started much better, but now it is acting up again.

Thanks for any help. trying to get it ready for a trip to north TN next month.

Lee

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Usually the switch in lower right corner of radiator, with key on, unplug the switch, fan should come on, if not switch is bad , as for startig issue , are you sure you have a good battery? I had a 700 do this , replaced battery and every thing started fine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think i have a switch on the radiator. Mine is on the head. And yes I unplugged it and the fan bypasses. I replaced the battery last week. Still clicking.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I don't have an 06 service manual, so am looking at the 05 and 07 manuals.

The solenoid needs to be well grounded. So if messing with the cables on it (cleaning and reinstalling) made it start better for a little while, I would take it loose and make sure it is grounded well. See if that helps.

The fan...The 05 and 07 manuals show a fuse block...but other than a bad connection there, it should not be a fuse if it works some times, but not others. Again, not the 06 manual... Looking at the parts breakdown for the 06 700. The EFI has a fuse block, the carb model does not.

The sensor should have 2.5k ohms are room temperature, and a relative short over boiling (212F). These numbers came from the 07 manual.

I would lean more toward a relay. Should be two relays up front. One for power, other for the fan. Check their part numbers (should be the same). If they are the same, swap them and see what happens. Also check their connections for corrosion, etc.

Sean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts