Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm Anthony C. One of my sons is buying a 04 400 Sportsman, the gentleman explained that one of the front hub seal was replaced twice, and it's leaking again. It only has 3 wheel drive right now, according to the present owner. Is there something special about these hubs? It seems as though one front hub is not engaging , I don't know for sure. I didn't even see the 4 wheeler yet. I've never made any repairs to a Polaris atv yet. I've worked on other atv's in the past with good success with the end results. Can anyone give me a heads up on these Polaris front hubs. All replies are welcome, thanking you in advance. Anthony C

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hub Seal...

Welcome Brother...!!!!I hav'nt had any experiences with the hub myself..buti'm looking at a manual at this second and it looks like you just pull the axle out of the hub and theres a large snap ring holding the bearing in and you just take it out pop the seal out and replace the snap ring...but it may have a bad hub or bad axle if only 3 wheels are turning, so get some more info and find out if there was a noise in the front axle ussally if a seal is leaking the axle will still turn...in this case you may have a bad front axle also...so you can just replace them at the sametime...:arco:MUDDIE49

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
if it has the old style hubs you might be better off letting a dealer replace the seal. verify that it is the seal that is leaking. they don't leak that often unless they have gotten torn from disassembly or reassembly.
there is a previous thread on here somewhere to diagnose your front locking hub

1 - 3 of 3 Posts